How I almost met the Dalai Lama...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
March 5th 2007
Published: March 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Misty McLeodganjMisty McLeodganjMisty McLeodganj

We arrived to a cold and rainy McLeodganj, in the Himalayas.
So you've probably all noticed I had no pictures on the last blog -- that's because I copied them all to a CD in Pushkar, deleted them and then (using my bag as a pillow on the night train) heard a distinct Krrrack and, yup, cracked the CD. I'm trying to recover what I can, at the very least to show you all my pretty pink hair. In the meantime, here's an update post-Jaipur.

We carried on the backpacker trail north to Pushkar (6-10 March), yet another sacred city in India, renowned for its holy lake, where devotees flock for blessings. In Hindu mythology, it is said that gods released a swan with lotus in its beak and let it fall on earth where Brahma (the god of creation) would perform a divine sacrifice. The place where lotus fell was called Pushkar. Pushkar has one of the only Brahman temples in Rajasthan and has several other temples dotted around the lake and in the town.

Translation: Pushkar is a sea of dreadlocked Israelies and trustafarians smoking pot and drinking bangh (marijuana) lassis, each one seeking to win the prize for most tattoos/hippie jewellery/body piercings. As a result, this
Monks and umbrellasMonks and umbrellasMonks and umbrellas

Everyone trudged thru the town to the Dalai Lama's complex to hear the teachings.
peaceful town is also filled with super pushy merchants as well as priests offering to do pujas (offerings to the gods) on your behalf and then hysterically demanding a load of rupees or else you'll get bad karma.

On the other hand, it's a great place for shopping!! Imagine the student shopping street in any US university town (think crystal shops, batik stores, head shops, beaded jewellery), drop all the prices by 75% and watch the neo-hippies go nuts. Myself included -- I'll be honest. As I'm writing this I am wearing a scarf in my hair (to keep the sun from turning my hair orange), three silver rings (they're really cool and one is my train ring to pretend I'm married), silver bangles, tank top and long flowing hippie striped skirt. This look also comes complete with an orange hemp shoulder bag and flip flops. And two tattoos. And I might have tried a bangh lassi. Hey, when in Rome...

We had a great time, but after 3 days (and not much spiritual nirvana) it was time to move on, hopefully off the hippie trail, and up to Dharmsala and McLeod Ganj, home of the Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama complexDalai Lama complexDalai Lama complex

The first day was Uprising Day, when crowds marched to Dharamsala to support the Free Tibet movement. This is the entrance to the complex but no-one was there!
and the Tibetan government-in-exile. After an Olympian obstacle-course route which lasted 29 hours, consisting of a bus to Meera Jctn, night train to Pathankot (right next to Pakistan, yah!), another bus to Dharmsala and taxi, we arrived in McLeod Ganj. His Holiness the Dalai Lama was giving teachings for a week and a half and people came from all over the world to cram into the ashram, buy a translating radio and learn. We tried to go a few times, but there were difficulties getting passes in and also there was an unseasonably cold rain storm that soaked the village and all its inhabitants for the first four days. The main issue with this is that there is no heat in McLeod Ganj. Not in the hotels (unless you luckily find one with a space heater you can rent -- I didn't), not in the restaurants and definitely not in the ashram. Yeah, I know, I know, I made it all that way and didn't see the D.L. Will have to wait til next time.

Despite the soggy cold, McLeod Ganj is a charming mountain town 1,000 meters above sea level where thousands of Tibetans live in exile from
HimalayasHimalayasHimalayas

Still raining, but clearing up a bit
the Chinese occupation in Tibet. It's a smattering of Tibetan arts and crafts shops, cafes, restaurants, reike healing centres, astrology institutes, yoga studios and monks. After a few days, the weather cleared up (just in time for Kris' birthday) and the views were breathtaking. For the first time in weeks, I was breathing really clean air, walking in the woods and experiencing weather under 70 degrees Farenheit.

We ended up spending a week in McLeod Ganj (11-18 March) and then headed south in a very bumpy night bus to Delhi, where we are now. Been here a week and heading on to Agra to see the Taj Mahal tomorrow. Still have a bit of a mountain cold, but the warm Delhi weather and thick smoggy air are bringing me back to normal.






Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

HimalayasHimalayas
Himalayas

If only there were heaters in McLeodganj... It was breathtaking but unbelievably cold.
American LassiesAmerican Lassies
American Lassies

Ran into Vanessa and Denis (two of my great friends from London) in the Tibetan museum! And the weather was getting better.
RainbowRainbow
Rainbow

All of a sudden the sun came out and the most magnificent rainbow I have ever seen beamed thru the sky. It stretched from one valley to the next and was vibrantly coloured.
Rain BellesRain Belles
Rain Belles

check out our mountain fashion...
RainbowRainbow
Rainbow

Me, Marc, Vanessa
Mountain scenesMountain scenes
Mountain scenes

In the morning, we'd walk down the 2km path from Dharamkot into McLeodganj
Mountain MenMountain Men
Mountain Men

Just hangin on the mountain. Burning a fire. Why not?
Sunny McLeodSunny McLeod
Sunny McLeod

The town completely changed when the rain stopped.
Prayer WheelsPrayer Wheels
Prayer Wheels

The outside of the temples are lined with rotating prayer cylinders. You walk counter-clockwise around the temple, spin the wheels and pray.
DowntownDowntown
Downtown

The weather just kept getting better. Lovely for an afternoon stroll.
Birthday BreakfastBirthday Breakfast
Birthday Breakfast

What a view...
The Village DoctorThe Village Doctor
The Village Doctor

Opted for some herbal remedies for the cold I got...
SadhuSadhu
Sadhu

Check out the man in the dreds sitting down. A sadhu is a religious hermit, normally living in the woods or wild.


3rd April 2007

Great....!
Really great thought... best of luck for you journey. We will be looking forward to get more about places you visit. We are bikers from delhi... and love to travel high. You can visit my blog in http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Puns/
25th May 2007

hey u
hey hon, these pics are amazing. i sent you an email couple of weeks ago. sorry i haven't been in more regular touch. your trip looks incredible and you look so happy. wish i could find a way to meet you somewhere on the path. when will you be in australia? what no can i call you on? take care and miss u! love p xxx

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb