Mersmerising Himalyas- (Sarahan)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Kinnaur
November 1st 2010
Published: November 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

There’s some thing very peculiarly special about the Himalayas... some thing very divine... and in my recent trip to the Himalyas... I felt the divine the power of nature that can mesmerize one's soul... now I understand why lord Shiva chose Kailasha Parvata as his abode.

Sarahan 6 hrs drive from Shimla, is located at Sutlej valley at Kinnaur-shimla border is a must visit for all Himalyan lovers and trekkers. The drive is little exhaustive and excruciating especially shimla narkanda route, but the views compensate for the painful ride. Magnificent view of snow clad mountains and the green forestry gives the tantalizing effect to one's eyes and soul. But the bumpy roads ( shimla-narkanda-shimla) won’t let you stay mesmerized for a long. While on the drive you move via Kufri, Fagu. These places are worth for a minutes or two pause.. just to pay a little homage to the mounts.. and snow clad peaks.. and to acknowledge the fact that you are nowhere but at one of the most beautifully blessed places of the planet earth. Then get back to the steering.. Make your next pause at Narkanda.. another beautiful town that comes in between. Halt for a refreshment.. you can also think of staying overnight here if you have enough time.. visit Hathu Peak. Though little trekking skills are required here still the peak is worth all the bruises of your feet.. a full view of the snow clad ranges. is the prize!! seems some white huge men standing hand in hand.. as if to demarcate.. the land belonging to humans and gods... such is the beauty of this place. you can’t imagine it.. untill you visit it..and after you visit it, you still can’t fully admire it .. the place stirs all your senses.. My suggestion.. don’t over spend appreciations here for there’s more to come.. jaw dropping views!

Stopping at Narkanda.. could be a very Chilly and a Cold experience situated at the height of 8100 ft so keep some woolens handy.. if you're quiet lucky as I was.. u might cherish watching snow fall in October’s as I enjoyed! Thank god I was indoors .. for people who would like to stay at Narkanda for overnight as we did.. there are some good options.. like Govt's Rest House which are quite reasonably priced 350-450 Rs. But you better be at safer side by making a bookings prior reaching.. ( check the link for contact detail http://www.himachalonline.com/temp/kangrapwdrest.html ) Though at the rest house there could be limited eating options.. but you get a lot many around.. one such is himalyan dhaba and another nice option is right opposite to it!

After a night's stay, you can kick off early morning towards Sarahan.. the views beyond this point gets more and more beautifuller.. and at some points...can make you even enchantingly speechless..

River Sutlej flowing by your side would keep you glued to the window side.. so act smartly by excusing yourself from handling the steering. After Narkanda you drive straight to Sarahan.. there would be few more towns while driving up and then down.. the most important one would be Rampur. There you can also confirm your staying arrangements incase you are interested in putting up at some govt. facillities of Sarahan. PWD office is there, so before reaching Sarahan you can book your stay. In case you don’t want to.. then there are multiples of hotels and home stays available and also there are rooms available at Bheema Kali Temple at pretty reasonable rates and in quite a descent state. Clean and well ventilated with a huge temple verandah at the centere.

Once you reach Sarahan.. check in your room.. and immediately leave to make a snap shot stroll of Saharan’s temple vicinity. There you'll get to see a beautiful views of green carpeted mountains..and amidst those mountains.. stands an equally beautiful temple of goddess Kali..( Refer to its mythological story) this temple is built in Buddhist style.. so I was pretty amazed to see its uniqueness! Don’t carry your mobiles while entering the temple and wear a cloth piece or a cap over your head that would be the kind of instructions you'll receive before entering the temple.

The temple is well carved on wood.. the doors are silver made.. with pictures of Goddess Kali, Gnash and Lord Shiva meditating. After the stroll.. You deserve some thing very nice.. so treat yourself with some kadhi chawal or rajmah chawal at some dhabas around the temple or in case if you are not starving and can afford to wait for 45 minutes atleast for your order to be placed on your table..then you can go to The Srikhand hotel/restaurant. Views are great from the restaurant’s window.

We stayed at Govt's rest house at Gharaat.. for 3 days. the views that I got from the govt rest house were the best..though the rest house is 5 and half Km away from Sarahan temple yet it is quiet a good option as compared from all other locations... Since there’s no night life at this place.. better set out for dinner before 8 pm or else you would miss it!

The next day wake up early to see the sunrise.. around 6.. and dont blink your eyes for more than a sec.. coz' u'll miss the magic.. sun rays..wonderfully.. and quitely..spreads over the snow clad peaks of the ranges..and eventually covers all.. the snow seems painted or dipped in some orangy flame of sun for a while..and then the next moment it brightens up as if its just been white washed! So dont miss it! the mornings are very very cold so wear 2 or 3 sweeaters or warmers before you set out of your room to gaze at the himalyan sunrise!

The same day you can visit the temple.. in details.. then there’s another place- Pakshi Vihar.. where ironically you wont see any of the birds other than couple of orange chested hens of the region! Rest all the cages bear only the name plates.. so don’t go there with High hopes of seeing some very beautiful birds as my dear friend had! The vihar is situated 2 Km away from the temple.. reachable on foot and also by road.. you can chose any.. but do visit.. for you get to have the bestest view of temple from the grills of the vihar... and from there you see the temple standing tall and huge between the white mounts..as if they are guarding it! BEAUTIFULL VIEW!! Try spending an hour there!

we covered the whole distance i.e from the rest house to the temple then to the vihar then to back to my rest house on foot.. no shortcuts taken by us! which took us very long! In case you too are planning the same then do ask the shortcut which will take just 15-20 minutes unlike us which took us hours! plus we were a lot tired though we enjoyed a lot! Or you can simply choose to stay at Sarahan itself.

The next day.. set early for shree koti temple which is some 35 kms. away form Sarahan. Which is Close to Mashnu.. then up. There you’ll also get to see stretches of apple orchards on your way by your side but do visit it even if it meant extending your trip by a day! trust me its nothing but the heaven's door! lush green forestry.. so green and so dense.. and as you set higher and higher, you see all snow covered peaks standing straight in front of you and more and more in front of you... so close.. no words.. am speechless... but the roads are.. no roads at some points.. and a piece of advice..confirm there are no landslides right from the beginning your drive towards shreekoti temple. Keep confirming and keep noticing the short cuts on the way in case you had to trek! And coz’ of landslides you may also have to leave your car on the midway. But am sure once you reach at the top IF IN CASE YOU GET THERE!!!!.. click as many pictures as you can... and then pat your back!!!!! you've done it after all !!!

There’s a lot many more places to visit around like Reekong piyo and some very intresting trekking spots etc. but these.. views are equally spectacular, fascinating, magical, mind boggling any more adjectives left there??!!...but all in all it was a life time experience.. coz the journey and the destination both were magical.. they casted a spell ... on me. while I was travelling.. I couldn’t stop myself.. appreciating the divine beauty of nature.. But I realized that apart from the journey and the destination which both were so beautiful and tantalizing.. I had the best company ! so the best advise that I can possibly give to the fellow travelers.. as a traveler..is to have the best companion when you set out... irrespective of the place you travel... be it to the Himalyas or be it to the.. turquoise blue colored beaches of Havelock (Andamans).. the best company..would always make you feel the best.. After all, that is what vacations are meant for.. Making you feel nothing but the best!!!!!!!!
Have a wonderful traveling!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb