Contradictions


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Kangra Valley
December 10th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A consistent theme of India seems to be contradictions and the idea that a different perception can entirely change the way something is viewed. Visiting the Jalianwala Bagh and then watching ‘Rang de Basanti’, a film which showed how media presentation can entirely alter perspectives and the struggle against government corruption, placing the concept in a modern perspective... The question - acts of terrorism or liberation? - is really brought to the forefront. I’d been listening to the song angles by Dans le Sac vs Scroobius Pip, a song exploring a similar idea about different perceptions, and there always being another side to things. There’s the obvious juxtaposition of modern ideas and age-old traditions that the Indian culture is built around. Ancient religion that’s still very much alive and also Western aspirations, modern technology and emmerging materialism. Just the huge rich-poor divide, the difference between life in the cities and the rural villages. Even the people here are, as it has been put, walking contradictions - Doug the tattooed graffiti artist from Newcastle who looks after day-care kids and Jas the Sikh player….
I expected it would be the surroundings - the scenery and the culture - which inspired me most creatively, but on the flip-side I’m really fascinated by the stories of all the other volunteers as well.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb