Chamba, Hari Rai Temple


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Chamba Valley
April 28th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Chamba, Hari rai TempleChamba, Hari rai TempleChamba, Hari rai Temple

Hari Rai Temple, Very Famour temple
Chamba, Hari Rai Temple

Shri Hari Rai temple (Vishnu temple) is located near Chaugan gate. The temple is in shikhara style built in stone. The image of worship is Vaikuntha form of Vishnu having three faces-human, boar and lion. The bronze image of the deity is in superb execution. Stylistically the image is certainly of earlier date than the second half of the 11th century A.D.
The central figure of the image, with a pronounced well-modelled chest and waist, is clad in dhoti with prominent but stylised folds, arrayed artistically. The fixture is elegantly decked in beaded anklets with pendants, bracelets, finger-rings, armlets with diamond-shaped central pieces, a beaded garland, an elaborate necklace with pendants, flower-shaped kundals and mukut (crown). The hair is arranged in coiled locks falling on shoulders and back. The eyes are laid with silver. Of the four hands, the right hands hold the short stalk of fully blossomed lotus and the corresponding left hand a conch shell.
There are number of niches in Hari Rai temple which project Brahmanical deities. These include Shiva seated on a bull with Uma seated to his left. The mounts of both the deities viz. Nandi and lion appear on
Chamba, Hari rai TempleChamba, Hari rai TempleChamba, Hari rai Temple

Hari Rai Temple, Very Famour temple
the front over the pedestal. Surya is represented seated on a chariot holding lotus bud in upper right hand. The lower left hand is in varada-mudra while the corresponding hand displays abhaya-mudra. At the pedestal are shown Aruna-the charioteer driving seven horses. At the entrance of the temple are shown two female deities of Ganga and Yamuna. There are some erotic scenes as well at the temple exterior.
The image of the deity was stolen by the anti-social elements in the year 1971 but was fortunately recovered in Bombay. The image was then re-enshrined in the temple much to the happiness of the Chambyals.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb