Kausani - the drive in the rains


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Haryana » Gurgaon
June 18th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Himalayas ...Himalayas ...Himalayas ...

this is from Kausani...
06/08/07
Sometimes change is must to come in some form and this time it was Kausani, on the foothills of Himalayas in the state of Uttrakhand about 420 kms from New Delhi.

Normal day ,its a 12 Hrs drive,unfortunatly this was not the one. After crossing delhi at abt midnight, it started raining and became heavy showers as we were moving in to the state of U.P which have ruined roads to be ridden as part of this journey. The traffic Jams and uncertanity on the road which actully had started appearing like collection of small icelands as most of the road was submerged under choked rain water made the journey never ending !!

Not sure,where the destiny of this road takes it to as its in same shape from years and is a prank...

The route to be taken was Delhi - Moradabad - Rampur - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Bhowali - Khairna - Almora - Kausani

Other route is Delhi - Moradabad - Rampur - Haldwani - Kathgodam -Bhimtal - Bhowali - Khairna - Almora - Kausani

we were 2 Hrs behind the schedule and still in Muradabad.As reached Haldwani at abt 11
Trishul peak of Himalayas...Trishul peak of Himalayas...Trishul peak of Himalayas...

this from Kausani..
am, the last stop in the planes, could see the tiny mountains peaks over dark clouds telling rest of the story. it was all raining on the mountais though monsoon didnt really arrive here yet, it made the feel of it. We decided not to stop between till Khairna to cover the lost hrs and finallly reached there at abt 2pm.

This is my favorite stop we wanted to take as can get local food taste. You get Musterd Raita(Curd,cucumber & Musterd leaves or musterd depending on the season) with Chilli & Onion Pakoras.

For Non vegetarians, you get a special local dish, Butwa - made of Lamb's intestine other parts like lever with very strong raw local spices local people enjoy it ..!!
Ater an hr break,we started again and had almost 100 kms more for Kausani.This drive is alongside of the river and very pleasant. there is belt where its almost in planes between the mountains and due to its geographical structure people grow plenty of rice here. As you come to Gwasa bridge you start again going up the hill and can see Pine and Deodar legends standing all over the hills and it was
Rose and CloudsRose and CloudsRose and Clouds

From Kausani
still raining.

this time of the year which was end of summer, you get lot of himaliyan fruits like types of Plums, cherries.. etc which makes the journey more tasteful..

at abt 3.30 finally reached to the destinatoins we started for ,which thought in between can never reach and on the right side of the road could see the Himaliyan range clearly - I never saw the great Himalayas from this close before and this sight has taken all the tiredness away from us.

Luckily, got Cottages on place where could see the best of the range. It is said that from this place can see 300 kms of the Himliyan range.The peacks easily can be seen are Trishul , Nandacot and Nandadevi depnding on the weather you get.

In the evening, had a jungle walk which took us to the silence which we never get in crowded world and this was magical as with sunset Himalayas was getting a pinkish golden tint and sometimes you dont believe your eyes - sat there for an hr on a cliff. During such walks, you also get chance to see the local life and normally people living in
rain and cloudsrain and cloudsrain and clouds

on the way to Kausani
such remote areas away from modern touch are welcoming, you can see happy faces even very limited material resources around.
Its very sad that even in interiors like this ,nasty tourists leave their marks with Plastics bags and other waste like beer cans,bottles etc... and still we are literates living in modern cities..!!

You will find very good flaura and fauna around this place. I spotted the Indian sparrows here which are almost extinct from most planes of India.

This day ended in chatting with Friends about the future of this place and antiquity blue.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Flower......Flower......
Flower......

from Kausani.....


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb