The last refuge of the Asiatic Lion


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat
February 13th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Asiatic LionAsiatic LionAsiatic Lion

Notice the different mane.
The city: Gir is the last remaining refuge of the Asiatic lion(about 300 left), the only lions found outside of Africa. The Asiatic species is different from their African cousins in that they don't have prides, the male lion has a less luxuriant mane and hunts for himself. These lions once roamed all over northern India up to Iran and the Indian national emblem features 4 Asiatic Lions. I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of these elusive beasts on an open jeep safari.

The Adventure: After we finished our morning safari my guide told me that it was possible to walk into the lion sanctuary in the afternoon when the lions are lazing around. I was skeptical at first but decided to check it out anyways, and after a monetary "tip" to the park official we managed to get in. Five minutes into our walk my guide gives me instructions on what to do in case we run in to a lion! Don't run, face the lion, keep your eyes on its hind legs and slowly back away. The walk through lion/leopard infested woodlands was intense, unluckily (luckily?) we didn't see any carnivores.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The walking safariThe walking safari
The walking safari

I admit I was scared.
Morning shot.Morning shot.
Morning shot.

A majestic deer having a drink
A lionessA lioness
A lioness

afternoon snooze
The King!The King!
The King!

No need for words...
Safari pitstopSafari pitstop
Safari pitstop

The guide/tracker and the jeep driver.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb