Homework Assignment for Next Week


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat » Ahmedabad » Adalaj
February 12th 2012
Published: February 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Scrappy quiltScrappy quiltScrappy quilt

The irregularly cut pieces attached to black, and framed with red or blue....
Friday we realized that our 8 days have been intense; a lot learned and executed. It was decided (in Enlish and Gujarati) that we should take a break! It is time for the women to work alone starting on Saturday and to continue while we are in Katmandu.

One quilt has been completed in its entirety with four others to be finished in our absence:


Scrappy quilt: constructed of irregularly cut squares of various fabrics. A cutter practiced cutting strips, and Feroza is practicing stitching by attaching first to black strips, cut apart, and now with blue or red borders (see photo).
Chinese coin: On Monday, the less skilled women sewing at home will return having sewn together one to three inch strips of various colors. Farnaz and I discussed the size of finished strips, so one or two should be finished by our return.
Dancing Star: What I called the first finished quilt design. Parveen was not in the original group because she is too valuable stitching garments for the shop. But, she managed to get chosen to work with me as I show how to more quickly and more accurately stitch squares into triangles, rather than one triangle after another. She has nearly finished a 30 x 40 piece of three colors. This design requires organization, which I lack, but between the two of us, we have managed to stitch it with only three rip-outs. The points line up nearly perfectly, especially for someone who is a first timer.
Log cabin: Our crowning glory is the log cabin design. Bill mastered the Eleanor Burns technique back in the States. Today, just to keep things moving, he cut all of the strips, and already, Farnaz and Meena have mastered how to stitch it. According to "Quilt in a Day," Burns assures us that the finished squares can be arranged into 20 different patterns. We bet that this quilt will be finished by the time that we return.



Don't you agree? An incredible 8 days?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb