Panjim to North Goa: Motorcycle trip.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa
November 11th 2007
Published: November 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

N. GoaN. GoaN. Goa

Rice fields in the sunset
Goa Day 3

Spent the night in the Panjim People's hotel; it is a turn of the century colonial house turned into an art studio, school, and guest house. The Hotel is located in the Fontainhas neighborhood, which is reputed to being Asia's only Latin Quarter. After breakfast got on the rented scooter, put on the back, and ventured into the unknown. Had a general idea where I was heading, north. There are multiple beaches and small villages studding the northern coast of Goa. For a small portion of the ride used the major highway. Riding was much less nerve racking as I had expected. The number of cars on the roads is relatively less compared to Udaipur and people just don’t seem in a hurry, so there is little honking. On the way up passed through the major town of Mapusa, a bustling town with many architectural reminders of its colonial past.

After Mapusa, took a detour towards the coast, towards Anjuna, a popular destination among party people. The roads that link the villages and the beaches to one another are much smaller and bumpier. They pass through small farmlands, green and lush pasturelands, small towns/villages. On the
N. GoaN. GoaN. Goa

Small church on the road, sunset
way you occasionally see large white washed churches and decaying colorful colonial buildings.

Never did make it to Anjuna but continued on the windy roads up north. The Northern coast is divided into many different beaches. Each of these have multiple small guest houseses. Essentially these are small settlements made out of small beach front shacks, all located around a central restaurant. These are mostly made with local materials, bamboo being the main structural component. The accommodations are very basic, with little insulation from the elemetns.

The first place I found for the first night on the beach had a dreary feel to it. The place had just opened up and had few customers, me being the only one there. But by this time it was hot early afternoon, and decided to spend the night. The food however was outstanding.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

PanajiPanaji
Panaji

Getting started
N. GoaN. Goa
N. Goa

On the road
N. GoaN. Goa
N. Goa

Riding through Mapusa
N. GoaN. Goa
N. Goa

Lush farmlands
N. GoaN. Goa
N. Goa

Small windy roads, heading towards the beach.
N. GoaN. Goa
N. Goa

on the road
N. GoaN. Goa
N. Goa

Typical house, constructed with local stones, Stones are literally carved out of the near by hills and stacked on one another.
N. Goa, first night hostN. Goa, first night host
N. Goa, first night host

Restaurant on the beach. Picture of Laxmi lies next that statue of CHrist.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb