Eating and Stuff


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Benaulim
March 12th 2007
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I thought I'd take a different tack with this blog since a blow-by-blow account of everything we do will probably get boring very quickly - both to read and to write! So instead I'm going to write about impressions I have.

One of the first things I noticed was the different approach to completing tasks between India and the UK. In India labour is much more readily available and cheaper. For example, we saw a crew doing some road repairs and they were breaking up the old tarmac with a spike and two people with sledge hammers - in England the same task would be done by one man with a JCB.

Restaurants are the other place where this is noticeable - the waiter to guest ratio is very high - if you went for an Indian in England you would get all your food brought out on separate dishes and plates etc and then be expected to serve yourself. In India the food arrives the same way but the waiters move the food onto the plates as you require - the only thing you need to do yourself is eat it! This takes some getting used to because we're not used to eating with a waiter hovering a few yards away in the background so our conversations were a bit stilted at first but we're getting better...

I'm going to talk about the prices (Rs 50 for a big bottle of Kingfisher!), poverty and approach to selling later on.

Bye for now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb