A Goan Christmas


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Baga
January 4th 2007
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dolphin Tour BoatDolphin Tour BoatDolphin Tour Boat

Negotiating swell and rocks...!
Sitting in Brisbane it feels a long time since we were enjoying the delights of Goa! A lot has happened since then but we will try to recap!

When we left Delhi on the 20th of December our flights were delayed. Thankfully only for 2 hours as all the internal flights suffer from delays and sometimes you can get stranded in airports for hours on end! We arrived in Goa and got a taxi to "Rani and Nanis Guest House"'our home for 6 nights... and what a great home it was! Based at the north end of the very busy touristy Baga Beach the guest house was saved from the maddness of normal tourist Goa by having a river between it and them...

We found a fantastic beach which was about half a kilometres walk along a rocky cliff path (which acted as a pretty effective lager lout filter) central to the beach was 'Cliff's' beach shck, good food, good beers, good company. We met a lovely Armenian family, all singers, so along with our Delhi friends had a great Chriastmas day, singing (Anne managed to get them waulking the tweed with table clothes..) and even I played a
Talitha looking for DolphinsTalitha looking for DolphinsTalitha looking for Dolphins

Christmas Day Treat
few tunes on the fiddle.

Highlight of Christmas day was the dolphin spotting trip, exclusive to us, Cliff arranged a boat to pick us up from his beach, which was no mean feet due to the swell, and number of rocks, but we piled on board, and had a lovely hour and did indeed see a number of Dolphins (not sure of the type till I see a book, they had a hump beneath theyre dorsal fin) Talitha was in her element, and the guys on the boat were lovely and friendly, looking after Ronan, holding him at the front so he could see. All in all a real treat.

Christmas eve night was pretty mad, fireworks being let off randomly in the street, and lots of bits still alight by the time they hit the ground...

The day we arrived Talitha joined the local kids for carol singing round the village which was pretty special..

I had a few minutes fun helping fishermen push their boat back up the river, they looked like they were struggling, and hailed me over to help...

Goa was a great 'holiday'within the trip, we didn't feel like exploring,
Cliffs Beach BarCliffs Beach BarCliffs Beach Bar

A haven with great food and cheap Kingfisher beer. Good Craic, good company, a great Christmas day...
and just beached out, perfect relaxation.

Now we are in Australia we can admit to family and friends about the Terrorism alert for Goa which was on the Indian media and consequently made the place very quiet. It was frustrating because you choose you destinations, pick your travel routes with a lot of criteria, safety being one of them, and then some randomness that is out with your control effects things. We decided that any targets would be big busy nightclubs where we wouldn't be (Goa is also a very big place) and also the threat was specifically for New Years Eve, and most likely in the Israeli dominated resorts... When we arrived and saw Nanis we were very relaxed knowing that it would not be a target, but it all makes you think....




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Waulking the Tweed - GoaWaulking the Tweed - Goa
Waulking the Tweed - Goa

Anne as usual, ends up doing a waulking with tableclothes and kangas for our Armenian friends...


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb