New Uniforms!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad
March 10th 2007
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Christina here:
Yesterday some of the children got new school uniforms. Sheryl & I wandered into Joseph's house between video shoots, and got to experience a treat. It was like Christmas: A jumble of children crowding around the tailor, watching him unpack stacks of skirts, pants, shirts and belts. Little bodies wriggling with anticipation... Then older children helping the younger ones put these strange clothes on--many of them exchanged their ragged clothes for crisp, button-down type of shirt they'd never worn. The belts also caused a little happy confusion. They were so excited! Josh-Mama-Ya (means "Uncle Joseph," as the children call him) watched them try on the uniforms, and he laughed with us at their excitement. The children were so proud, smoothing down their clothes and standing in line for Uncle Joseph to brush their hair so they'd look nice in their outfits.

Joseph explained to us that he had brought the tailor in to measure the children months ago, before he had the money to pay for them. Many people wouldn't do any of this until they had money. Joseph doesn't charge anything, but he plans ahead. He scheduled the tailor's time, and then the money came in. Someone decided to send the orphanage a check, just in time. Joseph smiled: "We just trust God, and it always happens like that!" Joseph says if he made a habit of waiting to start anything until the money comes in, nothing would ever happen. This is an example of how he started this orphanage. When he first started taking in other people's children, he could barely feed his own family. He laughs, remembering how his family, his neighbors, local churches, all told him he had gone crazy. But as Joseph and Rachel added 5 orphan children, then 30, then 100, then 250, and more, somehow there has always been enough. The early years were lean ones, to be sure, but they made it. Joseph says it's simple: "You obey God, and he provides for you."


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Me next!Me next!
Me next!

Uncle Joseph putting on the finishing touch.


12th March 2007

joshi mammaiah
Sheryl,Christina, I came to this family in1997and I have been watching him ever since.Since then to now I have seen hundreds of orphan children in this orphanage . I might have hard time to remember all of their names, but not to my Father in law. He never maintains distance from children. The name it self when they call him "uncle joseph" its like a family. I know it ment a lot for these orphan children some of them who do not have a family. He is mentoring all these little ones and especially showing the love and compassion of Jesus. I am so gald you are there.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb