OLD COUPLES MINI MAGHA MASA YATRA (5)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad » New Santoshnagar
March 25th 2011
Published: March 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

OLD COUPLES MINI MAGHA MASA YATRA (5)

25th FEBRUARY, 2011 - FRIDAY

Shri Parvatalu said to have found a great linga in the ant hill and appears to have built a temple with the archanamurti Sri Subrahmanyeswara Swamy flanked by his wives Sri Valli and Devasena. It is the belief of the devotees that the diseases of ears and eyes are cured with a forty day worship of the Lord. In the later years, the Zamindars of Challapalli developed the temple and provided sufficient funds for its maintenance. Another important feature of this Kshetram is that River Krishna is flowing in the northern direction to this Kshetram. According to puranas, persons suffering from Sarpa Dosha, Rahu and Ketu graha doshas are relieved of their negative effects by worshipping Sri Valli Devasena sametha of Lord Subrahmanyeswara swamy in this temple. It is also mentioned in the puranas that Lord Subrahmanyeswara swamy did penance in disguise in the form of a snake in this kshetram for many years and cleansed himself of his follies. Sage Agasthya in his tour of South India after crossing Vindhya Parvatam, identified this place as the place of penace by Lord Subrahmanyeswara Swamy and installed an idol for worship by devotees.

Special pujas are performed in this temple in Ashadha Masam, Naga Panchami, Nagula Chaviti and Subrahmanya Shashti. Worship of Rahu and Ketu are performed regulary in this temple similar to pujas performed in Sri Kalahasti Temple. Ear boring ceremonies of children are performed in this temple to ward off sarpa doshas. It is firmly believed by devotees that by worshipping Lord Subrahmanyeswara swamy in this temple they get relief from poor sight, ear ailments, skin diseases, lack of progeny due to previous births’ misdeeds, etc.

We purchased Abhishekam tickets and performed abhishekam to Lord Subrahmanyeswara Swamy with the help of priest Sri Balakrishna Sarma. We made parayanam of Namakam while abhishekam is performed by the priest. Here I have to say though Abhishekam to Lord is to be performed by reciting Rudra Suktam or Purusha Suktam or Sri Suktam or Manyu Suktam or Ganapati Suktam, the priests usually perform the same perfunctorily by pouring water or sungandha jal on the divine idol and finish it in a short time, without reciting any of the suktams. Seldom the temple authorities are bothered about arranging for a systematic worship/abhishekam by the priests inspite of purchasing tickets as prescribed by them. It is profession for the priests and collection of money to temple authorities whereas it is devotion to the pilgrims. Rarely we come across priests performing worship and abhishekams systematically. The priest Sri Balakrishna Sarma is no exception in this regard. Later we leisurely visited the ant hill located by the side of the sanctum sanctorium. We also witnessed several devotees performing homams, etc., in the Mantapams attached to the temple engaging priests privately. Though we have visited this temple two/three times earlier, we had no occasion to perform abhishekam to the Lord. After spending an hour in the temple premises, we came out of the temple and on the way to Ghantasala (visited in the return journey), we stopped on the outskirts of Mopidevi and had our delicious breakfast prepared by Mrs.Vijayalakshmi and had taken our daily dose of medicines for BP, Sugar, joint pains, etc. From here we proceeded to Ghantasala village.

GHANTASALA VILLAGE

Ghantasala is a small town and Mandal Headquarters in Divi Seema. It is a rare and reputed centre for Buddhist sculptures in Krsihna District (In Guntur District Dhanyakatam presently known as Amaravati is world famous for Buddhist sculptures). Excavations during British regime brought to light a stupa which had a circumference of 112 feet and 23 feet height. The British Government recognised this place as a histocial site and continued excavations. Ghantasala during Satavahana period was said to be a flourishing town having trade relations with Roman countries as well as a religious centre. It is said to be a famous Ship Port for trades with other countires. The Buddhist relics and Hindu structures found on excavation reveal its past glory and said to belong to second and third century BC. As in places of excavations, all important statutes, relics, were first transported to London or Paris, and then to Dehi and Madras Museums. Only relics which cannot be transported or which are of little significance were left at the place which were presently preserved in a Museum by Archealogical Department. The ruined Maha Chaitanya excavated here is said to be of a unique design. The Andnra Pradesh Governent also recognised this town as an important tourist place.

EXCAVATED BUDDHIST STUPA PRESERVED IN GHANTASALA VILLAGE. OPPOSITE THIS STUPA IS THE MUSERUM.

On entering the Ghantasala, first we proceeded to the famous Shiva Temple situated in this village. By the time we reached the temple, the temple was closed for the morning session but persons in the temple informed us that the Priest resides nearby and he will come and open the temple and they sent a word to the priest who came and opened the temple.

SHRI BALA PAARVATI SAMETHA SRI JALADHEESWARA SWAMY TEMPLE

Eka Peethe Virajantam Sarvamangalaya Sahaa
Ghantasala Puradheesam Jaladheeswara Upasmahe.

JALADHEESWARA SWAMY ( బాల పార్వతి సమేత జలదీశ్వర స్వామి) TEMPLE

NEWLY BUILT MUKHA MANTAPAM BEFORE THE ARDHANAREESWARA PEETHAM

The sthala purana says that Sage Agasthya installed the Shiva Lingam and Bala Parvati Idol on the same pedestal in this temple. This is the only temple in India where Shiva Lingam and Parvati Idol are situated on the same peetham (pedestal) and give darshanam. This Ardhanareeswara Peetham is said to have been worshipped by Adi Sankaracharya in his tour of India. The Archealogical Department established that this temple was originally built about 2050 years ago and it belonged to 2nd century BC. There are Silasanamas of Kings and Patrons of 7th, 8th and 12th centuries. Ghantasala is an Old Ship Port and it is believed that Lord Jaladheeswara provided protection to ships and to sea-merchants.

Bhasmalankrita Sarvangam, Agasthena prathishtitham
Bhaktabheeshtapradam Vande Advaita Jnana Siddhaye.

The priest and the devotees firmly believe that the teertham of Jalabhishekam of Lord Shiva in this temple cures diseases and provides health. (Nowadays one has to take care that the tirtham does not cause throat infection!). The priest Brahma Sri Chandrasekhar performed Puja, on our behalf, to Lord Jaladheeswara and Kumkumarchana to Goddess Bala Parvati in a very systematic manner and blessed us with the teertham, kumkuma and prasadam. The priest informed us that the people in this area call this place as Chinna Kasi and perform Abhishekams and Kumkumpuja on a very large scale on Masa Shivarathri and Mahasivarathri days and during Karteeka Masam and if any devotee pays the prescribed fee, abhishekam and Kumkuma puja will be performed on Mahasivarthri and Masa Sivarathri days and the Prasadam will be sent by post. Mrs. & Mr. PBR, who belonged to the clan of Sage Agasthya, paid fee for Abhishekam and and Kumkuma Puja for the coming Shivarathri day. It is said that the statues of Saraswati Devi and Rati Devi found on excavation here are similar to the statues found in Harappa and Mohenjadaro statues belonging to 6000 years BC (as detailed in a pamphlet provided by the priest).

As it is already 12-30 pm, we proceeded directly to Vijayawada from Ghantasala. Divi Seema is full of famous punya kshetras such as Peda Muttevi (Sri Maha Vishnu Temple), Movva (Venu Gopalaswamy and Shiva temple – famous as the residence of Kshetrayya who wrote lyrics on Venu Gopalaswamy known as Kshetrayya padalu), Hamsala Deevi (seashore and famous for Venugopala Swamy temple), Kuchipudi (native place of Siddhendra Yogi who developed Bharatanatyam), Srikakulam (Andhra Maha Vishnu Temple where Krishna Devaraya started his epic Amukta Malyada and the capital of Satavahana Kings), etc. In our earlier tours we had visited these places and punya kshetras. By 2-15 pm we reached Vijayawada and the daughter of Mrs. & Mr. PBR, who resides in the first floor of the house is ready with a delicious lunch for the old couples.

26th February, 2011 – Saturday.

We started from Vijyawada by 8-30 after breakfast and reached Hyderabad by 3-30 pm., via Guntur, Sattenapalli, Dachepalli, Gurajala, Macherla, Nagarjunasagar and Ibrahimpatnam. Thus, our tour of Mini Magha Masa Yatra undertaken for the purpose of Samudra Snanam, worshipping trinities – Chaturmukha Brahma in Chebrole, who blessed us with a successful tour as wished and programmed, Maha Vishnu in this Kaliyugam in the form of Lord Venkateswara in Dwaraka Tirumala, Lord Shiva in the form of Sri Konda Malleswara Swamy in Dwaraka Tirumala and Sri Bala Paravati sametha Jaladheeswara Swamy in Ghantasala and Deva Senani Sri Subrahmanyeswara Swamy in Mopidevi - is very successfully concluded as programmed and for the first time we had the company of another old couple Mrs.& Mr.PBR in our pilgrimage. We travelled a distance of 1278 km by road in this tour and used the car Maruti Swift Dzire which had given an untroubled service.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

RAGHAVARAO U.V.G.V. DUGGIRALA,

HYDERABAD, Dt.25th MARCH, 2011.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb