OLD COUPLES YATRA TO HOLY HILLS (1)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad » New Santoshnagar
March 25th 2010
Published: March 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

OLD COUPLES YATRA TO HOLY HILLS (1).

After visiting Rameswaram, Dhanushkoti and collecting the sand from the Sea and mixing the same in Ganges at Allahabad and Varanasai, we collected Holy Ganga Jal to perform Abhishekam to Lord Ramanatha Swamy at Rameswaram so that the KASHI YATRA WOULD BE COMPLETE, as ordained by elders. So my friends Mrs. & Mr. V.Ks, who earlier together performed the Yatras to Rameswaram and Kasi, and ourselves, decided to make a second Yatra to Rameswaram to perform Abhishekam to Lord Rameswar. Instead of going straight to Rameswaram, this time we decided to visit some of the Holy Hills situated in South India and also visit the Nava Graha Temples in Tamil Nadu, situated around Kumbhakonam. As we have already visited some of the Nava Graha Temples situated in India, we decided to visit such of the Nava Graha Temples, which we have not visited so far. We have already visited the following Nava Graha Temples at various places in India:

Surya Temple : We have visited the famous Surya Temple at Arasavilli,
Srikakulam, where regular Puja and Abhishekams are being
performed and also the Konaraka Surya Temple in Orissa.

Kuja Temple : The famous Angaraka/Kuja Temple situated at Ujjain.
Visited and performed Puja.

Saneeswara Temple: We have visited the oldest famous Saneeswara Temple in
Mandapalli in East Godavari District on the banks of River
Godavari and performed Tila Abhishekam more than once. We
Also visited the Saneeswara Temple in Sani Shinganapur in
Maharashtra near Shiridi and also performed Tila Abhishekam.

RAHU & KETHU : Worshipped in Sri Kalahasti temple.

With the above intentions, we decided to commence our Yatra to Holy Hills on 21st January, 2010 from Hyderabad. We commenced our journey at 5-50 am from our house. Our first visit is to the famous HILL, the abode of Lord Umamaheswara in Nallamali Forest Range.

21st January, 2010 - Thursday.

UMAMAHESWARAM - THE FIRST HILL IN SRI PARVATA RANGE OF HILLS IN NALLAMALI FOREST.

Umamaheswaram Temple is in existence since Krita Yugam. In fact it is described as Northern Gateway of Srisaila Mallikarjuna Temple; the other Gateways being Tripurantakam on East, Siddhavatam on South and Alampuram on West. It is clearly mentioned in Sthala Puranas and Vedas that a visit to famous Jyotirlingam at Srisailam is incomplete without a visit to Umamaheswaram temple on the Northern side of Srisailam. All pilgrims proceeding to Srisailam from Hyderabad, have to travel via Umamaheswaram only. In former days when bus route not existed, pilgrims from Telangana Region were visiting Srisailam through this Hill as the foot-path with steps is existed from this place upto Jatara Revu on River Krishna covering nearly a distance of about 50 KMs. After crossing the Krishna River at this Revu, the pilgrims were reaching the Chukkala Parvatam which they have to climb and further walk a distance of about 4 kms to reach Srisailam. As the bus route laid is away from this temple to a distance of about 4 to 5 km, pilgrims have forgotten this temple and also the foot path route via Umamaheswaram temple. Umamaheswaram is situated at a distance of about 120 km from Hyderabad and nearer to Achampet in Mahabubnagar District. When I first tried to visit this Umamaheswaram temple in the year 1989, nobody could give me the information in Achampet. After enquiring several people, one of the employees in a Co-operative Bank in Achampet informed me the route and the way to Umamaheswaram Temple. It is in the vicinity of Rangapuram village at a distance of 4 km. The temple is situated on the first hill top of Srisailam Range of Hills (known as SRI PARVATAM). While travelling from Hydeabad to Srisailam, Umamaheswaram is located at a distance of 7 km diversion before climbing the Nallamali Forest Hills. I am visiting this temple since 1989, almost every year. In fact we always proceeded to Srisailam via Umamaheswaram only and after performing abhishekam to Lord Umamaheswara.

Umamaheswarabhyam Navayavvanabhyam
Parasparaslishta vapurdharabhyam
Nagendrakanya Vrushakethanabhyam
Namo Namassankanra Parvateebhyam.




UMAMAHESWARA TEMPLE ENTRANCE AND DHWAJA STAMBHAM.

The temple is situated in the middle of the Hill, the Sanctum Sanctorium in a Cave, just as in Yadagirigutta, and covered by huge trees on either side of the temple. At present there is a beautiful motorable road to the temple. It looks as if the temple has been built in a cave in the Hill and the roof has been merged into the Hill. We noticed that throughout the year no sun shine falls on this temple and hence even in midsummer, the temple is very cool and pleasant. By the side of the Umamaheswara Lingam, in a separate Sanctum Sanctorium, there is the beautiful icon of Sri Uma Devi, the consort of Lord Siva.

The other place of interest on this Hill is Papanasanam which is at a distance of about 200 yards from the main temple. Here throughout the year water comes out of huge rocks. There is a rock pot which gets filled with water for every five minutes and overflows down the hill. It is the belief of pilgrims that all sins would be washed away, if one takes a bath at this place. This is the source of water to Bairagis and Sadhus who reside here throughout the Year and also for performing Abhishekam to Lord Umamaheswara.

PAPANASANAM TIRTHAM

We reached this place at about 9 am. As I have visited this temple several times, I have a fine rapport with the Head Pujari Shri Ramamurty who resides in Rangapuram and comes to this temple every morning. He is presently assisted by his father Shri Veerayya and his son who is also named as Veerayya. We immediately wearing dhovatis proceeded to recite Mahanyasam after performing Vighneswara Puja and later with the assistance of the Sri Veerayya (son of Sri Ramamurty) performed Rudrabhishekam to Lord Umamaheswara and Kumkumarchana to Matha Uma Devi. Here even ladies can perform Abhishekam to Lord Umamaheswara as in Srisailam. Shri Ramamurty is an ardent devotee of Lord Umamaheswara and worships Lord Shiva very devotedly. My personal experience is that one can perform Abhishekam and worship Lord Siva here very peacefully, without any hurry and in a very serine and forest-like atmosphere. Moreover, this temple is as old as Srisailam and in existence since millions of years.

Umayasaha Devesam Vahanam Nandisankaram
Muchyate Sarvapapebhyo Eka Bilvam Sivarpanam.


There are about two guest rooms for pilgrims who wish to stay for a longer time. But we have not stayed there. After performing Abhishekam to Lord Umamaheswara and Kumkumarchana to Matha Uma Devi, and profusely thanking Shri Ramamurty, his father, and son, the priests in the temple, we proceeded towards Srisailam. On the way under a tree in the deep Nallamalai Forest we had our breakfast (Pindi Pulihora) brought along with us from Hyderabad.

OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT


RAGHAVARAO U.V.G.V. DUGGIRALA,

HYDERABAD, Dt.25th MARCH, 2010.


Advertisement



11th July 2010

Excellent description of temple
Sir, very good write up onUmamaheshwaram. I hope we too can visit along with family, as soon as possible. Thanks a lot... regards RAVICHANDRA BULUSU

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb