Havelock search for post cards and internet access


Advertisement
Published: March 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Havelock, one of the Andaman islands. We searched long time for the internet access and even longer for the postcards. If you knew how slow the connection here is, you'd understand why this post is so short... oh and the laptop broke down too.



EDIT: I'm writing this from Bangkok, since there was no chance to fix it at Havelock. The laptop continues to be on strike, so thank God for Internet Cafes and Gaming Centers. But back to Havelock island.
There are some lovely restaurants all over Havelock called "Barefoot"B3 Restaurant and Brasseries, which are somehow connected to the Hotel Resorts (same name) and Scuba Diving centre. They have an internet cafe too, right next to the fish market/big market downtown. Just keep in mind you should ask for the price first, since the internet connection is really slow and sometimes the power goes off too... But the island is so beautiful, better to take care of whatever online business you have before arriving, so you can spend those hours at the beach or diving.



About the postcards - the only place I discovered had them is the market (right next to the fish/fruit market, kind of 7/eleven of India). You won't get them at the post office. The stamps to Europe are 20 rupees for one postcard. (If the post office is closed by the time you want to send them, the old metallic red box right in front of the door at the jetty-post office really works, just throw them in. Keep in mind it's quite small, so if you need to send anything bigger than postcards or small envelope, you'll need to wait till the post office opens.)

Oh and they have brilliant - best I ever ate so far - grilled tuna steak at the Barefoot resort near the beach Nr.7/RadhaNagar Beach. It's bit hidden in the forest, so you'll need to ask locals for the way to find it, but it's absolutely worth it. And that's the same place you can book the diving with the older elephant with tusks. Otherwise you can wait for the working government elephant to show up at some point and make a private deal with the mahout. He'll spare some 15 minutes of his working schedule so you can make your pictures before he has to go back again. (He usually shows up near the far right end of the beach at the lagoon around 8:00-9:00 am.

As far as the room-prices go, negotiation is the key, whatever your rickshaw driver or anybody says.




(Sorry, there won't be any pictures until I get back home, since you know. The laptop broke down.)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb