Day #139: The Peak


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
August 19th 2013
Published: August 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Victoria Peak is the central hill overlooking Hong Kong. It has a British-built funicular that looks straight out of a British seaside resort, and for which there was a two-hour queue (it was the weekend), so I walked up to the top. Even on a cloudy (polluted) day the views of the skyscrapers were good on the walk up and The Peak is probably the best way to get a sense of the layout of Hong Kong, spread across the islands.

From the top funicular station there are various walks around The Peak, including a "Fitness Trail" featuring steps up and down and periodic stops where there were exercise machines and boards explaining the number of repetitions that should be done on each (and warning people not to overdo it). At the very top of The Peak - another 20 minutes up from the funicular station - is a Victorian-style park with archetypal colonial architecture and planning (including a short path named "Governor's Walk"), but at this height the clouds obscured everything and the park looked very ghostly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb