Hello HK


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
June 20th 2004
Published: June 20th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Me and the Japanese food chain waitressMe and the Japanese food chain waitressMe and the Japanese food chain waitress

This is a Japanese food chain we've been eating at every night... the girls are all dressed up the same way, just like the little cartoon mascot of the chain.
What am amazing place.


I think our first challenge arrived in the form of the Hong Kong airport. For those of you who don't know, the airport here has 70+ gates, and is divided into completely separate buildings, so you have different building around which the planes park... so how do u get to the main entrance?? you go downstairs to a level that's underground, and then u stand there for a long time and wonder why u've ended up in a big room with 1 wall that's seethrough glass. And then this train comes out of a tunnel and the glass doors open... yes, there is an underground train that takes you to the main terminus.


They thaught Kate was dodgy (something we've always believed) and she was tested to see if she had a temperature at the SARS screening before Customs.


Here's some travel advice for anyone travelling to HK for the first time. Buy a Lonely Planet guide BEFORE you get here. Else, goto the friendly girl behind the information counter at HK airport and she'll help you out with a map (extremely handy), point out your hotel on the map and help you out with how to
Yummy food.Yummy food.Yummy food.

This one speaks for itself.. this is what u can get for about $20AUD here.
get there. We got the bus. Route A21, 33HKD. and got off at stop 8. 2 blocks walk to the Stamford hotel.


This place is a city of high rise buildings, surrounded by mountains and docks, it's amazing, if it's your first time here, you'll know what I mean. Kind of like India, but with more high rises and no animals on the street.


There are three main streets in Kowloon, the Mong-kok suburb with all the good shopping, and we pretty much have to walk past them all to get to our hotel. I felt real sick after the 8 hour flight, and then the heat. But today... well. Firstly I think we got up too early... there was no one to be seen at 8am in the morning. We went out looking for open shops and some food....


Here's tip number 2, never go shopping before 12 midday, nothings open. Streets are empty, and not much else. The shops here are open from Midday to Midnight... so i'm going shoppoing after this.


Here's tip number 3, book ALL your accommodation before you get here. It's much cheaper to do thought the internet (about $40 per night cheaper) We've just had to book 3 nights into a second hotel over the internet when the hotel is just down the road.


Here's tip number 4, that map u got at the airport, keep it with you AT ALL TIMES. Cos if your someone like Kate, u'll get lost pretty quick.


Here's tip number 5, DO NOT BRING MORE THAN 2 PAIRS OF CLOTHES. I just picked up a pair of ECKO shorts for HKD$85, that's about AUD$17. You can buy yourself a completely new travel wardrobe for around AUD$100.


I even found CK underwear.. 3 for HKD$100/AUD$20. And they're the real thing!!


VCDs range from HKD$11 to HKD$50/AUD$10...


and i'm not even going to start with the mobiles and mp3 players....


Anyway, back to the shoppping. I'll add photos soon.


Have fun guys.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb