Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
February 6th 2012
Published: February 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong HarbourHong Kong HarbourHong Kong Harbour

Wonderful view
We survived the 15 hour trip via Cathay Pacific from Los Angelos to Hong Kong. Good food and good movies help pass the time but the highlight was the outside camera which allowed us to watch the touchdown from the nose of the plane. Beats any ride I've been on!

We were met by our guide Mike who had us to our hotel by 9:30am. We were able to check in to our hotel the Excelsior and have harbour view rooms on the 26th floor. The view is spectacular of the 3rd largest natural harbour in the world. We dumped our suitcases off and headed out on foot to explore.

It was Sunday so lots of people on the streets. A marathon of 70,000 people was ongoing and Victoria Park close to our hotel was full of people many of whom were Phillipine women who are Nannies and have only Sunday off. They put down a piece of plastic and enjoy conversation and food with their friends. The city is a contradiction of very old and very new. Skyscrapers surround the harbour. We saw all kinds of markets with fresh fruit and vegetables, live chickens and fish of all kinds. We returned to our hotel for a two hour break and met at six to enjoy the complimentary bottle of wine we had received from the hotel manager. Then it was across the harbour by ferry to Kowloon to go to the Aqua restaurant on the 29th floor. We enjoyed a great meal and watched the nightly laser light show on the buildings across the harbour. The neon signs and light show were amazing. Back to the hotel by ten for the first sleep in two days.

Up and onto our tour of Hong Kong by 9am. We took the tram up to the Peak to view Hong Kong from above. Then down to Aberdeen for a tour in a sampan seeing many very expensive yachts owned by some of Hong Kong's richest to the few remaining boat houses. Then two hours spent in Stanley market with lots of deals on silk, name brand clothing, children's toys and souvenirs. Then off to the escalator in SOHO built to reduce traffic and allow those living on the mountain to get down. Mike was able to answer all our questions about life in Hong Kong....Back to our hotel and onto the street for a lunch of the spiciest and most slippery noodles I have ever tasted. That's all for now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb