Hong Kong (with Macau)


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
May 13th 2009
Published: February 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ocean Park, Hong KongOcean Park, Hong KongOcean Park, Hong Kong

Cable cars transport park visitors from the Headlands to the Lowland Gardens and vice versa.
May 9-13, 2009

Symbol of historical dichotomy, Hong Kong owes the Chinese as much as it owes the British for its confounding dual identity. Steeped in tradition yet highly modern, progress has indeed come to this once British territory at a steep price (quite literally), yet the allure of this rapidly progressive city is undeniable. She's got the good vibes that just keeps on drawing everyone in.

We spent the first night touring Kowloon, eating at a Cantonese restaurant near the subway's Jordan Station. And then I had an Indian after-dinner meal bought from a restaurant where I had a little chat with the Pakistani waiter, who wanted to know more about the Philippines. So I told of him of the beaches and he told me about Pakistan's mountains and farms.

The next day, we boarded a ferry to Macau, where we met fellow Filipinos who toured us around the former Portuguese colony. Touted as the Las Vegas of the East, Macau surely does opulence very well, with casinos mushrooming all over. But it's not all about gambling and living the lifestyle of the rich -- magnificently typified by the recently built Venetian Hotel/Casino/Resort -- as Macau does
The Ruins of St. Paul's Cathedral, MacauThe Ruins of St. Paul's Cathedral, MacauThe Ruins of St. Paul's Cathedral, Macau

The façade of what used to be the Cathedral of St. Paul welcomes visitors at the end of a long alleyway from the Largo do Senado.
boast some cultural attractions as well, including the Largo do Senado and the ruins of St. Paul's Cathedral. Not to mention the renowned Portuguese egg tarts. It's this close we can get to Europe. For now. Maybe. Hopefully.

Anyway, we went back to Hong Kong that night.

For the next three days, it was exploring Hong Kong's other popular attractions like the Ocean Park, the Victoria Peak, Disneyland, the Ngong Ping, Lantau Island, the Space Museum, and the Avenue of the Stars. We also ate at a novelty restaurant called the Modern Toilet Restaurant. Here, customers sit on a toilet bowl, eat from a mini-toilet bowl placed on a toilet sink, and drink from a cup shaped like a urinal. I had my Thai Chicken Spaghetti in Coconut Cream Sauce on a lavatory-shaped plate. The food's not particularly special but thankfully it doesn't taste like, well, $#!t.


Additional photos below
Photos: 115, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.375s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 139; dbt: 0.1342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb