Hong Kong- The perfect mix of asian culture with perfect quantity of Britishness..for now!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
August 16th 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A junk on Hong Kong HarbourA junk on Hong Kong HarbourA junk on Hong Kong Harbour

...Mix of old and new
Our week in Hong Kong was such a lovely break! We started in the less tourist area of Mong Kok, Kowloon, sampling the "real" Hong Kong! It was busy, sooo many people around on the pavements, yet I cant quite describe why, but unlike China it somehow had a kind of organised busy-ness about it. Maybe it was to do with the fact people are more polite and actually hold the door open for you! Another luxury was that we could flush the toilet paper. ahhh simple things!

We met up with an old university buddy, Dicky, a born and bred Hong Konger. He took us to a very local restaurant where we indulged in a whole tasty goose. Matt and I managed to distract dicky whilst stealing all the breast meat leaving Dicky the mangy bits with bones, tendons and whatever else in. But he didnt seem to notice, and I think the locals actually prefer the boney, fatty bits to the breast?!?!?!

After a few days we left our minute queen sized bed and roaringly loud air conditioning unit in Kowloon for the 5* Harbour Grand Hotel on Hong Kong Island. Thanks to ma and pa we spent the following 5 days in luxury- just what we needed after the tiresome travel through mainland China. Unfortunately we got heaps of rain in HK caused by the tailend of the Taiwan typhoon, but we still managed to have a whale of a time..we visited the infamous Ocean Park theme park with its huuuge aquarium and few white knuckle rollercoasters, we even saw a dolphin do a backflip! We visited The Peak at night time for great views of the skyline along with several overly keen photographers, a spot of shopping at the night market, a visit to Lantau Island to largest outdoor bronze seated Buddha in the wooorld! Oh and not to forget lots of yummy grub, including italian, fry up breakfasts each morning, Japanese, Thai.......ah the list goes on! On our last day the weather perked up and even managed a swim and a few hours soaking up the sun around the hotel swimming pool! Bliss!

Hong Kong is a great city. The fact so much is in English makes travelling around a breeze. The skyline is the best we have seen on our travels, and the public transport and noodle wonton soup are serious bargains.

Leaving the comforts we experienced in Hong Kong was tough... but we slowly slipped back into "travelling mode" with our sleeper bus back over into the China border (all the while thinking of mum and dad in their air conditioned airport)

Next stop...Vietnam....So until next time....

N&M


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Our sleeper bus back into ChinaOur sleeper bus back into China
Our sleeper bus back into China

..back to the reality of "travelling" style


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb