Hong Kong/Macau


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
September 12th 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

EnlightedEnlightedEnlighted

Mr. Big Buddha, that's what a fellow from the UK called him.
Day 1
After an unforeseenable delay of my flight, finally got into HK on Sept 12 from Seoul. Only staying for 2.5 days so I had to really manage my time. I was planning to stay up 18+ each day for sight seeing, shopping and to grab a hop to Macau for some gambling (haven't played craps in a while). Got a map from the Tourist Info booth, arrived at my hotel and I was off and running. The ferry system was fairly easy enough to follow. Just look for what district/island you want to go and jump on it. This is probably the most cheapest form of transportation (about 3 dollars one way). Opening seatings so first come first serve and it gets packed.
The people are pretty nice, most speak English and if they don't, just point to the picture on the map where you want to go. The highlight of this trip would be the visit to the Giant Bronze Buddha on Lantau island. The lights of the harbor are amazing and so are the street food vendors. Forget about the fancy places and go to the Ma/Pa, hole in the wall restaurant and order some authentic Chinese food (No Panda Express for me here). If you are into shopping, then definitely head to Kowloon island to the Temple Street night market. The shops open up after 7 pm and is a long stretch of stores selling Folex (fake Rolex), T-shirts, electronic goods, hand bags and anything els you can think of. Bargaining is a must, but don't be a jerk or rude. The merchants are there to make a living and some profit.

Day 2-
Bought a round trip ticket to Macau at the Shun Tak Centre in Central district for about 300 HKD ($40 US). One way trip on the hydrofoil ferry was about 50 mins, it was hauling butt at 50 knots. Make sure you get to the ferry station at least 30 minutes before the reserved ferry time because you will have to go through custom prior leaving and entering Macau and its the same process on the Hong Kong shore. Just bring your passport, fill out the custom form and smile. The visa is free by the way. Macau is pretty interesting, being colonized by the Portuguese, you can see the strong influences of both cultures. Did some sight seeing and once this was done, I headed to the casinos to see if I can win back some of the money I spent so far. Just like in Vegas, didn't do so hot. Took the ferry back to Hong Kong to check out some of the famous pubs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Buddha and IBuddha and I
Buddha and I

Largest Bronze Buddha in the world.
HydroHydro
Hydro

Boat to Macau
Ferry stationFerry station
Ferry station

Cheap way to get around
St. PaulSt. Paul
St. Paul

My shot from the second story of St. Paul.
BridgeBridge
Bridge

Connecting Macau to Mainland China
Old CannonOld Cannon
Old Cannon

Aimed at a Casino, the main economy of Macau
dual cultures dual cultures
dual cultures

Very common signs in Macau.
CasinoCasino
Casino

Gambling is illegal in HK so people take hops to Macau for it.


24th September 2007

LUCKY!!!
Man it looks awesome there! yeah got the package... no telling how long its been here postal crew sucks!!! Thanks for everything. I gotta get overseas and see the world. I cant believe you got to see the masters statue.... GO BWWUCE !!!
27th September 2007

nice picture in hongkong
3rd October 2007

hi how are u ? wow! u have been to H.K. recently. H.K. is beautiful isn't it? it's small but so many sky-high builings.very uniqe kk

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb