Olympic shenanigans


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Sha Tin
August 8th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This month I'm on Olympic duty but, a little unusual for an Olympic Games event, I'm not based in the host city of Beijing but some 1200 miles in Hong Kong where the Equestrian events are taking place.
Not the most glamorous of sports admittedly - for some reason the general population of the world are not quite taken by the prospect of horses dancing - but its got to be handed to the organisers its all very well set up that you cant help but get swept up in the wave of Olympic fever.
The competitors, volunteers and organisers are all friendly and approachable, its actually a bit refereshing to speak with athletes who are happy to speak to the press without giving off an overriding sense of distrust or contempt that I have come across from some other sportsmen.
In Sha Tin today getting accustomed to the racing venue and sorting out all accreditation related shenanigans before tonights opening ceremony. Obviously the main fireworks and what not will be vying for airspace with the smog in Beijing but there is a little one going on here where HK's involvment will be acknowledged with the lighting of their own Olympic Cauldron.
Of more importance is the likely addition of free food and drink, which will keep the lingering thought of tomorrow's 5am start at bay for a little longer...



Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb