Sai Kung Hiking and Beach Camping


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Sai Kung
September 10th 2011
Published: September 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday at 1500, after a really interesting fluids class where we were shown the logic and understanding behind quicksand (King Julien is really good for applying what he teaches to real life examples), thirty two exchange students met to go hiking. I was one. It had been organised by two Americans and a German but there was a smorgasbord of national flags on show. It turned out i wasn't the only one flying the union jack. Also on the expedition was Abdy from City Uni, London and Andre (the EDL may query his claim) from Manchester.

After commandeering the top deck of a bus (for less than 50p a head) heading for Fuk Man Road and then cramming into seven cabs (the cabs claim they hold five. It is clear this is five small and soon to be intimate Chinese guys, and not five tall westerners), we arrived at the beginning of the trail.

The hike to the beach was relatively easy. A little rain at one point was inevitable in Hong Kong but did little to slow progress. After an hour and an half of gradient enriched path we made it to the small village at Sai Wan Beach where we acquired tents and a Tsing Tao beer or two. By the time we reached our deserted beach it was getting dark as the near full moon rose. Following Silvio's, a New Yorker, shout of "I need some soldiers to help me get wood" a troop of the more testosterone driven men disappeared on the search for fire wood. Me, in my still slightly fragile estrogen-scented state stayed to pitch the tents under the moon but not after a dip in the sea.

After a stroll down the beach led to the discover of an oil drum we had a camp site, a fire, and a make-shift drum. The night spiraled from there.

Much like the cabs, the "four man" tents were liable for false advertising. Fortunately, once me and another Mike from the US crashed out, Andre and Erasmus (a really down to earth swede) seemed to take it in turns to chill outside and then sleep.
We woke to some of the more mature group members cleaning the campsite. The waves had really picked up which made for great swimming and started to attract a trail of surfers to our beach.

At this point the group split with the majority heading on for more day's activity at a waterfall while a smaller party, including myself, just wanted to get back to campus (in my case mainly for a fully functioning toilet with seat and paper - there had been a couple of toilets on the trail which were literally holes in the ground with handle bars to help you squat - no toilet paper). We were told about this easier and quicker route to a bus stop that would get us back. We were lied to. The following two hours were the hardest hiking i've ever done with relentless ascents preceding too-steep-to-walk down hill sections. Every time you thought you'd reached the top, the path turned to unveil all new hill. FINALLY we reached the bus, which was held up by water buffalo on the road (they're a bit of a pest in the nature reserves), we headed for campus. After ten minutes sat cramped over on the bog and a twenty minute shower to rid myself of the salt and sand, Chase (a sound fella from Madison, Wisconsin) and I went for a well deserved Big Mac Meal lunch (£1.70).

Even with all the bowel issues as a consequence of the antibiotics course i have just finished, the trip was a great success, thoroughly enjoyable and a great way to meet people. Now i fear my exhausted legs will keep me campus bound for the rest of the weekend.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb