A Happy New Year of Simplicity


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Sai Kung
January 1st 2009
Published: January 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Enjoyed seeing out the last of the old year after recovering from a hairy bus ride from the nearby village and a good walk along the coastline, when the clouds cleared and I saw planet Venus and the spectacular crescent moon for the first time in a week. The Australian's noted the lack of beer in the campsite and the Chinese would have noted the lack of Bai Jiu (rice wine that tastes like petrol). People from Hong Kong seem to enjoy excess of food consumption in favour of alcohol.

Callum went to bed saying "it's Happy New Year tomorrow". When he woke up he wished me a Happy New Year and then after a quick tent exit he commented "Happy New Year isn't this cold". Nothing a bit of chocolate pirate gold couldn't fix! The wind was blowing strong though eventually died down and we are now enjoying plenty of well received sunshine. I cooked up a feast and then it was time for sandcastle making and kite flying.

We are camping near the coastal village of Sai Kung. From here you take minibus number 7 to Hui Ha and from there it's about a 40 minute walk to our campsite. It is not far to some good hiking and beautiful little beaches. Lots of church groups and scout groups have left us the bits and pieces they didn't want to carry out with them. They come loaded up with huge amounts of supplies and stay usually one, occasionally two nights. The campsite is also frequently visited by wild cows and dogs. We have made ourselves quite at home with a rope swing and clothes line. There is quite an ambience that only sitting around a campfire seems to bring. Here's to a year of Simplicity! Happy New Year indeed!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb