It's Raining Men...


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Sai Kung
October 5th 2007
Published: October 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

not literally but now that I have your attention, I can tell you about the world's oldest passenger liner that serves as the world's largest floating book fair, the SS Doulos. It was docked in Hong Kong this week so I paid a visit. It was built in 1914, two years after Titanic, and is set to be decommissioned in 2010. It's crew is all volunteer--400 from 50 countries and the ship has visited 550 ports in over 100 countries. 500,000 books (100 tons) are carried on board and 18 million people have visited the ship and it's book fair since 1978. Check it out at doulos.org. Oh, and it HAS been raining!

I visited Sai Kung with Hideko last weekend for a fantastic seafood meal. Customers purchase live seafood from the fishermen and fisherwomen who dock their boats at the pier and then walk with their live catch to their favorite restaurant where it is freshly and deliciously prepared. We purchased Thai lobster, blue crab, scallops and shrimp--all for $20...and it was scrumptuous sea fare!

Val of Santa Fe is arriving next month and two weeks of the 'in-between' time is confirmed for Japan, so I am busying myself with the preparations for his visit to Hong Kong and Beijing. Hideko and I are travelling to Phuket, Thailand this weekend for a few beach days so I will write about that when I return. Hope you are enjoying some Autumn relief from the heat of Summer!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



6th October 2007

Autumn relief from the heat of summer - we keep waiting in vain for autumn to find us! Here in the depths of So. TX, we're still with lows at night in the upper 70"s,low 80's. So, come on, autumn!! Your pictures and message are beautiful as always. Enjoy the beach and enjoy Val. Love ya! Sharon

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb