Arrived in Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
August 17th 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Hong Kong. The flight went without a hitch. Couldn't sleep in the seats though, so have slept about 2hrs total since 0800 yesterday morning. Absolutely buggered. We packed books etc in case we needed to amuse ourselves, but wasn't aware how many movies, documentaries, CD's etc we had access to while on board. Unreal. Some of the movies weren't even released in Australia yet. We landed at approx 0630 and were hit with a cool 30 degree morning that was so humid, we pretty much started to sweat straight away. We have been to Queensland in the middle of summer (last year) but the heat there is nothing compared to this.

Nic's parents noticed that customs were very strict when they came over last year, but things seemed very laid back today. We weren't even asked if we had any items we shouldn't. We just walked through the door with the green light indicating we had nothing to declare, got our passport signed and that was it. On to the bus to the hotel.

The trip to the hotel was an eye opener. Hotels (huge high risers) lined the streets pretty much all the way to Kowloon, where our hotel (Majestic) was. The buildings were all apartments and hotels, and it was strange seeing all the clothes lines outside the rooms on the walls, all the way up. I will attach some photos to show just what I mean.

Kowloon itself is very different to what we are used to. It's not filthy as such, it's just a mess of buildings in all types of condition everywhere, neon signs jutted out all over the place and a smell that we haven't ever experienced before. I think a lot of it is due to the stalls etc everywhere selling dried fish and all sorts of wierd stuff, but sometimes you walk past a stormwater grate and there is such a strong stench of sewage, that it almost knocks you off your feet.

It was too late to do the half day island tour when we got to the hotel, but that allowed us to settle in a bit and have a look around. Nicole wasn't too impressed with all the water dripping from balconies and building walls, thinking it could be something worse, but it was the water from all the air conditioning units.

We went down to Harbour City for a bit of a look (in air conditioned comfort) and decided to have lunch in one of the nicer looking food outlets. We both decided on a Laksa, thinking that it looked good and it would be good to try some local food. Nicole had half a mouthful and I struggled through it. I like spicy things, but this stuff nearly burned a new hole in your mouth. They had Chilly souce on the tables. I think they were there to cool your mouth down after having this meal. It was quite nice, but bloody hot!!!

We had a harbour cruise that night while watching the "Symphony of Lights". It was a struggle to find the company at the wharf as there were so many, most without signage, but eventually a person came over to us and asked for us by name for the cruise. The cruise and commentary was quite good and we both enjoyed it alot. The symphony of lights is a light show from a heap of buildings (approx 30) that happens every night. It was very impressive. I had intended to get some photos of it, but the harbour was so rough with other boats on it watching as well, that it was impossible to set the camera up properly for the correct time lapse photos. We will try to come back and take some photos from land in the coming days.

Advertisement



22nd August 2006

hot stuff
sounds like fun would like to try that laksa

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb