Star Ferry


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Morning StarMorning StarMorning Star

The most recent incarnation of the Morning Star is in the foreground. The Pisces Star in the background travels between Hong Kong and China.
The Star Ferry is one of the iconic images of Hong Kong. The beginning of the Star Ferry dates back to 1880, when an enterprising cook named Dorabjee Naorojee Mithaiwala began The Kowloon Ferry Company, with service across Victoria Harbour. His first ship was named The Morning Star.

In 1898 the Star Ferry company became a public company, taking its name from its steamships, all of which have "Star" in the name. Today the ferry runs about every six minutes between Central on Hong Kong Island and Tsim Sha Tsui on Kowloon. The fare is incredibly cheap HKD1.80 on the lower deck, and HKD2.30 on the upper deck.

At the Star Ferry Pier on the Hong Kong Island side, there are a couple of interesting shops. One of which, Carpenter Tan Handicrafts, sells beautiful inlaid wooden combs. Definitely a thoughtful gift for someone with long hair (even if it's yourself!) Note also the plaques in the floor with the names of all the ferries.

Hong Kong, February 2009




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Central PierCentral Pier
Central Pier

Central Pier is also known as the Star Ferry Pier.
Celestial StarCelestial Star
Celestial Star

Most of the ferries currently in operation were built by the Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock Company.
Star Ferry Pier Victoria HarbourStar Ferry Pier Victoria Harbour
Star Ferry Pier Victoria Harbour

The skyline of Kowloon is in the background.


Tot: 0.412s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 37; qc: 129; dbt: 0.2436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb