Hong Kong - The last stop


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
November 12th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I'm actually writing this post from home but wanted to wrap up the tales of our adventures in Asia, and rattle off some final thoughts (Springer style).

After our stay in Cambodia, we spent one night at the Novotel Airport Hotel in Bangkok before heading off to Hong Kong. The hotel was very nice and modern, especially for an "airport" hotel, but the dining options were somewhat lacking as I had to wait an hour and a half for a hamburger and Elise opted for the full buffet that decided to become a half buffet in the midst of our meal.... oh well.

So, the next morning we flew on to HONG KONG

Hong Kong
Elise orchestrated our flights home to go through HK so that we could spend a few days here as we've heard lots of good things and while on the other side of the globe you may as well visit as much as possible.

So we arrived in the afternoon and went to our hotel, the LANGHAM PLACE in an area called Mongkok which is on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong. The area was very bustling, as is much of what we saw of Hong Kong, and our hotel was one of the higher buildings in the neighborhood, but certainly not of the city, so we were afforded an excellent view of the skyline. Also attached to our building was what can only be described as a Mega-Mall - a mall that went up 15 levels of crazy modern escalators that spiraled around the entire building. The building felt as if it were designed by Spacely's Sprockets - we were waiting to bump into Elroy and Judy shopping for a flux capacitor for their Delorean.

Nearly everywhere we went Elise felt we had entered the future based on architecture and the efficiency of the infrastructure, transportation etc. She also described the city as a mix between New York (enormity, skyline, crowds) and Vancouver (waterfront, glass buildings, surrounding mountains). We also felt as if we were just somehow in a really really big Chinatown (which, i guess, we kind of were).

The other highlights we visited in Hong Kong:


So, that about wraps up our honeymoon - I'll leave you with a few thoughts in general from our trip.
-> There is a certain poetic justice to being a white person traveling through Asia and stopping to take pictures at a constant rate. I guess I have some insight into what it's like for the Japanese who visit here (except they do it in Asia as well).

-> When traveling, always be sure to subtly mention that it is your honeymoon - milk that for all the champagne, room upgrades and personalized cakes you can.

-> You can take away our bill of rights, constitution, baseball, amber waves of grain and any other such American thing you can think of, but while Asia is nice and we openly embrace the Buddhist philosophies, America is still the greatest place on Earth solely for the quality of our beef. God bless Grade A prime!

-> Despite the lack of quality meat, there is much to be desired about Asia (the parts we saw). There is an inherent kindness to the people, even if you walk into their shop, and tell them you don't want what they're selling, they still always thank you when you leave.

-> The mixture of ancient and modern was prevalent in every city we visited, both in architecture (ancient wat next door to an electronics store) and attitude (Monks on cell phones).

So, thanks once and for all for following our adventures and we now take you back to our regularly scheduled broadcast of Big Teeth Productions.

Signing off,
Gregg and Elise Jaffe (aka the Junior Jaffes according to my parents)

Advertisement



12th November 2007

Thanks for sharing. Gregg, like I said, you write better then you speak. Maybe we should converse through mail. You seem to have so much more to say! This is just the beginning of your travels as a married couple. Just enjoy a wonderful life together and be happy. We love you.
2nd December 2007

you guys are all over the internet
so, i wanted to see your photos on face book.(tamir is a member) but i couldn't remember your last name. so i searched big teeth (good memorable name!) and found pages of gregg jaffe web pages. glad to see you don't have much free time on your hands :) but then i was drawn to your honeymoon blog (i want to go to asia) and laughed my little no-tushie off. you should write on of those funny travel books (like the ones that make art museums in italy fun). seriously - your next entrepeneur gig - how about a guide to israel... -stacey

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb