Stranger in a strange land


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
May 18th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey Bloggers

Sorry I won't ever say that again.

Well, this is blog number 2 and what a strange few days it has been. Sadly I can't upload any pics as the tower for this pc is locked away in a cupboard and I catch reach the usb.

So I got dropped at the airport by my mummy and had to dart of quickly before she started crying. It was a bit easier than I thought to be honest and I was happy to be alone (in a nice way of course mum). Anyway as soon as I got through the awful customs at Heathrow, I did what anybody else would do and went to the bar. I received a few calls from everybody whic seemed to send me into a state of mild hysteria and I realised I was shouting at the top of voice into the phone. Lots of nice words of encouragement were given. I also got chatting to a lovely old couple from south london who began buying me beer and talking me down from my adrenelin high. I was then fully relaxed and ready to go.

I managed to get to thee gate in plenty of time which was handy seeing as though we were delayed for about an hour. Finally I was onboard and began settling in for the longest flight I have ever been on. I was so happy when I realised that the 3 seats next to me were going to remain empty for the entire flight which meant I could spread out and use them as bed. So out of the 12.5 hours the flight actually took, I was asleep for about 9 of them. Managed to watch Casino Royale in between snoozes. I have to say, he is a good bond.

Then I arrived in Hong Kong feeling fresh. Although it is soooooo hot here. Roughly 35 degrees all the time.

Now it was time to tackle the customs officers. I breezed straight through with no problems, I put this down entirely to the fact that I didnt have any dried crcodile meat or hornbill casques. These were 2 things of the bizarre objects that you arent allowed to bring into Hong Kong.

After an unevetful journey to the hotel. My hotel is really nice and the views across the harbour are amazing. Every night at 8pm there is a spectacular lazer show with lights and music. I have been trying to get pictures of it out of my huge windows but havent really done it justice. I am going to go to the waters edge tomorrow and try from there.

I dropped the bags off and headed out. I took a walk along the main road, known as Nathan Road. Its a pretty grimey place and full of Indian men who were trying to sell me either a cheap suit or a copy watch and lots of chinese ladies offereering a 'massagy'. My hotel is located in Tsim Sha Tsui which is located at the southern end of the peninsula. Its basically the proper tourist area and full of shops and restaurants.

Yesterday I caught the Star ferry across the harbour to central and walked to the sart of the tram that takes you up to the top of Victoria Peak. The views of the cityscape from up there were amazing and I took a circuit walk around the summit. I then came back down and walked through Sheung Wan, which was full of strange shops selling weird dried foods and proper birds nests for birds nest soup. I also vistied the Man Mo Temple. Which apparently is the most famous and oldest in Hong Kong. Its dedicated to Man Cheung who is worshipped as the god of literature and represented holding a writing brush yeah get me. It was full of giant incense coils and I could only stay in there for about 5mins and then had to escape for air. I then went out for some beers in a good ol Irish bar and met a couple of crazy americans, who were good fun. At about 11pm I called it a night.

Today I got up at about 1pm. After walking along the chinese avenue of stars, which is like the one in the states, except with chinese actors handprints. I didnt recognise any of them except CHow Yun Fat, Bruce Lee(they had a big statue of him as well image to follow) and Jackie Chan.
I then caught the ferry over to Wan Chai to look for some possible places to go out on Saturday night. It was proper seedy and just full of table dancing bars. These scantily women kept grabbing my hand and inviting me in for a drink. I hastily declined, not wanting to have to fight my way out of there when I couldn't afford the 1000 dollar drinks bill. So I won't be going out there!!

Then tonight I took a wander up to the night market which was quite honestly full of tat. I had some food which ended up being some giant insect thing that had been alive moments earlier, with rice and blackbean sauce I think.

Tomorrow is going to be an early start as I am going to the Ten Thousand Buddha monastry and hopefully to Lantau Island to ride the long cable car.

Thats about it for now, sorry if it seems a but rushed but the cost of this internet is loads. I write again when I am in Singapore where hopefully I will be able to upload some images.

Bye Bye for now.

Advertisement



18th May 2007

Im jealous!
Hi James, sounds like you are well on your way, looking forward to seeing you when you get to Vancouver, Canada.
18th May 2007

You Insect Eating Mofo
LOL What are you playing at? Stop being hustled white boy! Take a trip up to the Peak and grab some shots from up there. Also go further down Nathan Road til you get to Mong Kok as there's more stuff to see down there with slightly less tourists. Lady's Market is down there too, also sells tat but better than the one near your hotel. If you do struggle on the food front I suggest you go into any of the numerous shopping malls and eat from their food halls, it's safe there and you can order by numbers. As great as their Metro is stay on foot, move fast, keep low. Avoid sucky sucky. BTW, bring me back a watch lol.
18th May 2007

STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND - LITTLE BOY LOST
Hi Sounds like you are taking in the culture and enjoying your stay. Your hotel sounds great and cool! I hope that you enjoy your trip to the Monastery tomorrow and have a good flight onto Singapore on Sunday. I will text you. Have fun and keep safe. Luv Mum and Dadxxxxx
18th May 2007

Knock Offs
Mate, i'll take a moody Rolex, tell Simon it's real though :-) Stay out of the titty bars mate, adios
19th May 2007

Hornbill Casques
Goddamit! you can't be serious about hornbill casques? I have just taken delivery of 800 Black Dwarf Hornbill casques (Tockus hartlaubi) from Africa to fill a very generous order from HK. Have a good one matey. SJ.
19th May 2007

OOOH your all grown up!!!
I like 'travelling Jaymes' he's cool! Love u loads bruv... stay safe and have fun. X
19th May 2007

Fab time!!
Bye hun! Have a fab fab time!! Add me to your blog (sarah!) as I don't seem to get it!! Missing you already xxx
21st May 2007

Pork Chop-Back
good to hear from you....have a bowl of noodles for me mate and some ginger spices! Don't forget to wear flip flops/jesus creepers otherwise the trench foot might make a re-appearance! Peace man
30th May 2007

Kung Fu magic
Hey dude, hope all is going well, and you are staying out of those massage parlours!! AM still trying to get in touch with a mate of mine who runs the bar at the Oriental Hotel to see if you can get a free night on the piss there! If you find yourself out that way and walk in ask for Sam Jevons and say you are a mate of mine and Ben Wilson's (hes the guy who fucked his hand with you on the fence). Anyways how long you staying in Hong Kong? Hope you get to go to some of the James Bond islands or witness an actual kung fu street fight, or even see someone randomly split a couple of bricks with their forehead (or is this just horrible race stereotyping? Write soon, sianarra (Japanese??? all the same??) Laters, Dave.

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb