Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
June 17th 2014
Published: June 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Victoria BayVictoria BayVictoria Bay

Beautiful waterscape
In May, we were lucky to go to Hong Kong to renew our visas. We left on Sunday morning and took a flight to Shenzhen airport. Though it is much cheaper to fly into, it is also a bit far to get to Hong Kong. After a bus, a couple of subway rides and border crossings, we arrived at our hotel in the Kowloon area of Hong Kong. The room was snug but very modern and much more comfortable than the one we stayed at in Korea. After a quick rest we took the subway 3 stops to downtown on Hong Kong Island.
Though it is very busy and packed tight, Hong Kong has a lot jammed into its tiny space. You can find a lot of Western style restaurants mixed in with local food and shops. We had poutine and beer then a delicious Thai fusion meal our first night. The city has fantastic elevated sidewalks that connect to the high rise buildings. We explored these on day two as we went looking for some Apple stores and an Aveda Salon. Weaving through the narrow streets we found both so Kendall bought a computer and I got a new hairdo!
Elevated sidewalksElevated sidewalksElevated sidewalks

Weave through highrises. Look between the buildings and you can see the view of Victoria peak

After that we took an hour ferry to Macao. While there we explored the brightly painted Portuguese architecture, walked the old streets, strolled in the lush parks, ate some good food and checked out the casinos. Kendall turned 100 Hong Kong Dollars (about 12 USD) into 400 and we got back on the ferry back to Hong Kong Island.
Our last day we took a railcar tram up to Victoria Peak. It was a very steep ride in an old wooden style tram. The view from the top was gorgeous. Unbelievable. We took an hour walk around the trails at the top through the rainforest. There were not many people so we had a lot of the plants, birds, butterflies and views to ourselves. While we were up there, we had lunch in a greenhouse style restaurant with great views. Then we headed back through the borders. Though we were delayed at the Shenzhen airport, it was very nice and modern so we didn't mind too much.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Old Portuguese buildingsOld Portuguese buildings
Old Portuguese buildings

set among old Hong Kong architecture and modern skyscrapers


21st June 2014

I love the pictures! It's nice to have a break and go somewhere new.
24th June 2014

Terrific
You guys have had such an amazing year!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb