Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
October 28th 2013
Published: June 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Common Area of Hop Inn on Carnarvan Common Area of Hop Inn on Carnarvan Common Area of Hop Inn on Carnarvan

Our hostel in Hong Kong had lots of amenities, such as books and movies to borrow, as well as friendly staff. Highly recommended.
Hong Kong, one of the most densely populated areas in the world and currently a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China, has a convoluted and romantic history. After growing from a small fishing village to a military outpost and trading port, Hong Kong became a colony of the British Empire after the First Opium War until it was occupied by Japan during the Pacific War, after which the British resumed control and then, in 1997, China resumed sovereignty. These days the city-state is well-known as a cultural and economic powerhouse, and during my busy week there I was overwhelmed by choices of sights, restaurants and shopping.

Hong Kong was also the perfect city to end our trip to China: accessible, easy to navigate, full of things to see and ways to spend any remaining travel money. After experiencing the sprawl of a city like Beijing, in Hong Kong it seemed as though everything was within reach, and even traversing the city by ferry, double-decker tram or metro was a pleasure. Highlights for me included the painting exhibit at the Hong Kong Museum of Art, the Hong Kong Museum of History, the aviary and the tea museum in Hong Kong Park, riding the Peak Tram to Victoria Peak and staring out into Victoria Harbour from the Star Ferry, along with some delicious food.

If you have more than a few days in Hong Kong I highly recommend escaping the city for the surrounding beaches and countryside, which make up more than 70% of the area and provide a much-needed change of pace. The Dragon's Back hiking trail is particularly popular, having been voted the 'Best Urban Hiking Trail' by Time Magazine, and there are lovely beaches near the city and more secluded spots on the nearby islands. It's amazing how quickly one can be transported to another world while in Hong Kong, inside or outside the city. Definitely a place worth revisiting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 138, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Artwork in our roomArtwork in our room
Artwork in our room

The private rooms at this hostel were all decorated by local artists.
Room/Bathroom at Hop Inn on Carnarvan Room/Bathroom at Hop Inn on Carnarvan
Room/Bathroom at Hop Inn on Carnarvan

Obviously on the small side but it worked out well.
Room at Hop Inn on Carnarvan Room at Hop Inn on Carnarvan
Room at Hop Inn on Carnarvan

Cozy and private, and a good deal for Hong Kong.
Jennifer on the Star FerryJennifer on the Star Ferry
Jennifer on the Star Ferry

My first trip across Victoria Harbour!
Clement on the Star FerryClement on the Star Ferry
Clement on the Star Ferry

Not his first trip, but always a delight.
Hong Kong Island from the Star Ferry Hong Kong Island from the Star Ferry
Hong Kong Island from the Star Ferry

The Star Ferry, founded in 1888 as the Kowloon Ferry Company, carries passengers across Victoria Harbour between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.
Yung Kee RestaurantYung Kee Restaurant
Yung Kee Restaurant

Preserved duck egg with pickled ginger.
Yung Kee RestaurantYung Kee Restaurant
Yung Kee Restaurant

Famous roast goose with fermented soybeans and plum sauce.
Yung Kee RestaurantYung Kee Restaurant
Yung Kee Restaurant

Special fried tofu and greens and mushrooms. Delicious!
Modern Peak Tram CarModern Peak Tram Car
Modern Peak Tram Car

Nearing the top of Victoria Peak.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb