HK


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
January 7th 2012
Published: January 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong is a very interesting place. There is something for everyone. You can see most of HK in 3-4 days without rushing. Accommodation is expensive...budget travelers can expect to spend on average $60-$80 a night but don't expect much value. Inflation in China has raised the price on most goods in HK. Food was good but to be honest Vancouver still has some of the best seafood in the world and cheap.
We stayed at a hotel in Wanchai district which only takes a couple of MTR stations to get everywhere else. The MTR system is world class and puts Vancouver skytrain to shame. It seems every time it rains somewhere else in the world, sky train stops working. You have to purchase an Octopus card when you are here. It will take you anywhere...heck it can even get you in the race track.

Speaking of race tracks it' s a must go on a Weds night. The vibe is indescribable. You walk in and it feel like you are at the coliseum waiting for the gladiators to come out. Admission is 10 HK dollar and very accessible by MTR. I swear it seems like you can get anywhere on the MTR, I wouldn't be surprise if they had one going to Tibet soon. Oh wait they do =)

Hong Kong is littered with food stalls and small shops. I can't really say shopping is great here because most of the stuff is either a 10K LV purse or a $10 knock off True religion pants spelled backwards and in Hebrew. Still very fun to walk and explore...you will not get bored.

I would definitely recommend a 3 day lay over if you are heading to Asia.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb