Hong Kong 29 June - 1st July (Day 66, 67 and 68)


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
July 1st 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Coming from the jungle in Borneo, the transition couldn't be greater!
We were suddenly in a city, a big and crowed city and we loved it.
One could say that it is the perfect city with a mix of British efficiency and oriental dynamism.
When you see “look right” written on the street you are crossing or “please mind the gap” when you exit the metro carriage you might think that looks familiar. But then when you see the skyscrapers, the numerous road flyovers, the aerial walkways where as pedestrian you don't need to cross any street or the mid-level escalator which bring you a long way through buildings and over streets and when you consider the numerous and colourful neon advertising with Chinese characters you definitely understand that this is Hong Kong.

We had to choose among all what can be done so here is what we saw:
We started with a visit to the “Peak”. Victoria Peak culminates at 396 meter and we reached it with the Peak Tram funicular. From the top we had a great view of the city, its buildings and harbour.

The mid-Levels Escalator was a funny experience as we passed through this yuppie neighbourhood packed with noodle shops and funky bars. We had dinner at a Nepalese restaurant where we enjoyed a chat with the owner.

We passed through Li Yuen Street East and West which are lined up with all kind of shops selling counterfeit design clothes and bags.

Hollywood Road with its antique shops led us to the Man Mo Temple dating back to then 18th century. The air was filled with smoke from incense burning.

Among the things we enjoyed most were a ride on Hong King's double-decker trams, a walk along the Avenue of the Stars in Kowloon and the star Ferry that brought us from the island to Kowloon in about 5 minutes for 1.8HK$ (=0.18 €cent).

I would like to add that we found the MTR (HK's metro) clean, efficient and very modern.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb