Bandit's Post


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
April 30th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What is now known as Stanley was once the hangout of the notorious pirate Cheung Po Tsai. The area was called 賊柱 (Chek Chue) which is Cantonese for Bandit's Post. There are some people who say that Chek Chue is actually Hakka for Red Pillar, 赤柱, for the red blossoms of the cotton trees in the area. I like the pirate story better, so Bandit’s Post it is.

The English gave the town and the bay of Chek Chue the name Stanley after Lord Stanley, the English Colonial Secretary in 1885-1886. This is also the same Lord Stanley for whom the Stanley Cup is named.

Today, most people who come to Stanley voluntarily are coming to visit Stanley Market. (Those who come here involuntarily are headed for Stanley Prison, home to convicted murderers and other nasty characters.)

Stanley Market is a warren of narrow alleys crammed with small shops and stalls. There are a few interesting art galleries, and a couple of rather nice clothes shops, but bargains are hard fought, and some shopkeepers are more interested in separating the customer from his money than in providing excellent service. “Bandit’s Post” may be a more than just an historical footnote.

Adjacent to the market is Stanley Plaza, a rather more modern, but not more fun, shopping experience. While I was there, Stanley Plaza held an art exhibit “CowParade Hong Kong” similar to “Cows on Parade” in Chicago several years back. It was an amusing take on decorating the bovines among us.

A short walk from the market is the Tin Hau Temple, one of the oldest in Hong Kong. Stanley is just east of Repulse Bay, and an easy bus ride from Central.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Not even when it hurts...Not even when it hurts...
Not even when it hurts...

Sign outside a bar along the water front on Stanley Bay
Little altarLittle altar
Little altar

You see little altars all over Asia outside people's homes and businesses. I usually noticed them by the scent of burning incense.
LPG TaxiLPG Taxi
LPG Taxi

Throught Hong Kong the taxis were all red, all Toyotas, and they all ran on LPG.


Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 32; qc: 130; dbt: 0.1381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb