Hong Kong Island


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
October 4th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ferry journeyFerry journeyFerry journey

Still smiling here as we started our journey across the island...little did we know!
Travelled to HK island today. I take back any moaning I have done about the journeys so far because this was by far the worst! Ferried over, then tube, then headed for a street name given to us by an info lady! She must have been feeling particularly cruel that day! Got to street and could only find 1 hostel. Tried there but they were full. So trekked about some more (with big 15kg bag) until gave up and went to a different info lady. She sent us to a tourist board who sent us to a non-existent hostel. 3 hours later and with literally a shred of life left and possible some permanent spinal damage had to go back to one and only hostel we could find. Debs started with the knocking - no answer. Ended up with heavy banging until a lady (different to the original lady) who looked like an angel sent directly from god opened the door and gave us a room - HALLELUJAH! It wasn't the plaza, but think I would have slept in a shed with the donkeys at this point anyway. Shoved bags down, re-adjusted spine and went off to find The Peak.
New roomNew roomNew room

After the 3 hour, 15 kg, back breaking and near death journey, this looked like Buckingham Palace.

The Peak is a mountain on HK island. Can take a tram to top and has awesome view of HK mainland. We paid to go right to top (even though hate heights!) Didn't like tram up, but was ok when got to top - I didn't go to edge too much though! Like the rest of HK, the Peak had a huge shopping centre built into it, with loads of floors. Bought some chopsticks here as a momento for HK and also to use as an exercise device when I get home. Spent quite a bit of time on the Peak. Pen leaked in my bag at this point - realise that sounds trivial, but leaked all over new cream purse and new pink phone - knew they wouldn't last forever, but 4 days...come on...thats just a joke!

Started to rain really heavy here - we didn't know if this was the typhoon because we didn't know what a typhoon was...turns out typhoon means wind, this was just really bad rain! Had to eat at Starbucks, which really begrudged doing, but couldn't find anywhere else. Treated self to hot chocolate and cheesecake...beautiful!

Extra note: Phone has great fitness divice that measures amount of steps walked, miles and calories lost.

Todays results:
Steps: 21, 865
Miles: 9.5
Calories: 580

Im sure that got rid of at least the hot chocolate!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

View from the PeakView from the Peak
View from the Peak

One of many...
As good as it getsAs good as it gets
As good as it gets

This is as close as I get and Deb had to take it really quickly too.
We wore our T-shirtsWe wore our T-shirts
We wore our T-shirts

Yes ladies...we put them on just for you (and everyone else on the Peak).


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb