Nice to meet you HK... again!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
December 7th 2007
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saturday

Yum cha for brunch… YUM.

Stepped off the bus right in front of HSBC in Central. Backtrack one year, standing in the same spot and oblivious to the giant structure looming above, only thinking: why the hell is this place so windy? Like a wind tunnel! Went back to Australia, saw a pic of the HSBC building in some journal and it dawned on me… OH, I was there and didn’t know. Shite.

Ying: Are you an architecture student?
Steven: What have you been doing in the last 3 years?!
Thanks guys T_T

Central is Hong Kong’s central business district, with many (rich) foreigners and big brand shops. Window shopping heaven. Oh and the streets are narrow, made of cobble stones and follow the hill site formation, meandering through and connecting little galleries and boutiques. It’s the part of HK that resembles Europe.

So went into one of the bars on the famous Lan Kwai Fong street full of restaurants/clubs/ bars and had Baileys… ahhhh~~ bliss.

Decided to go see The Landmark coz apparently they had good decorations that Pico (the company I worked for last Xmas) did or used to do. Since every year xmas decorations are put up in public places - Sydney recycles their decorations every 3 years (prime example: Martin Place) - I wanted to witness any new creativity ppl managed to come up with for the one repeating, archaic theme. Turns out, they were pretty good. See photos.

Feeling cultural, we caught the ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui (best way to see the harbour and bays) to see an exhibition at the Hong Kong Museum of Art. The exhibition was called “Treasures of the World’s Cultures from the British Museum”. I fell in love with human civilization. Before I fell for Architecture, I wanted to be an Archaeologist, excavating and traveling, chasing something lost forever. *Looks skyward in nostalgia*

Came out and was greeted by a charity event for AIDS. There were indie bands performing on stage and tourists winding through the crowds and enjoying the Victoria Harbour views.

Wanted to stay longer and go pub-crawling… maybe next time when I come with friends. 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Rose explosionRose explosion
Rose explosion

Those are real roses. From the equivalent of Roses Only in HK. These are changed every night with a fresh bunch. Oh.. how excessive!
Lan Kwai FongLan Kwai Fong
Lan Kwai Fong

Famous st full of restaurants/bars/clubs. Night life. Here. No men with yucky teeth.
Hanging xmas tree at IFC mallHanging xmas tree at IFC mall
Hanging xmas tree at IFC mall

This tree is cable hung from the ceiling, each tree deco piece is hung at a certain distance from the ground so that a 3-dimensional tree is formed. The centre is hollow and no trunk is needed.
IFC mall decorationsIFC mall decorations
IFC mall decorations

Like stardust suspended in motion in mid-air. Great atmosphere in which to bleed ur wallet dry.
tactile walling.tactile walling.
tactile walling.

material for HK Museum of Art. For acoustic purposes? Leave me alone Ted!
King Tut King Tut
King Tut

I am huang shang... of Egypt.
King HayKing Hay
King Hay

my cousin is also huang shang..
Vic HarbourVic Harbour
Vic Harbour

The white-ish structure is the HK museum of Art.


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb