Hong Kong day 1 (Visa, Peak and all that Jazz)


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
June 12th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got up lateish (quite tiered) and had to wait a fair while for my Sister to get ready (only joking!)
It was a similar day to yesturday - muggy and smogy.

We caught the Star ferry over to hong kong island and then walked across to the convention centre. I needed to get my self a Visa for China and the office is located a couple of blocks behind the convention centre.

Apon arrival we discovered the Visa office had closed for lunch, so we decided to do likewise. We walked a couple of blocks south to Lockhart street and found an excellent (very busy) chinese restaurant. We stuffed ourselves. I thought we had over ordered but we somehow manged to finish everything.

Headed back to the Visa offices and unfortunatly had to wait 2 hours before my number was called up and I was able to give in my forms.

As soon as this was done we left and caught a cab to the Peak tram station.

Got a tram up the steep peak.

Since we were last here things have changed some what. Before there was a standard viewing platform but now there
is a hugh (sort of ugly) shopping centre with viewing deck on top. The great thing about coming back to hong kong is that we kept getting these flashbacks of our childhoods. And my sisters description of the new shopping centre was one such flash back (from a cartoon we watched as kids.) She said that the front of the Peak tower (as the centre is called) looked a bit like one of the evil robots from the cartoon 'defenders of the earth' (anyone remember that one.)
We went up to the viewing level (had to take a fare few escalators) and admired the city from above. We then went for a walk around the peak (which we used to do with our parents on sundays) We just got back to the peak as it started to rain (and thick cloud engulfed the area.)
We sat in a cafe and drank coffee/hot choc while reading magazines and surfing the net.

Just before 8:00 we headed back up to the viewing deck to watch the light show (every major building in hong kong starts flashing some sort of light, be it nean lights or shooting off light beams across the View from the Peak.) It was cool but we were a little disapointed (turns out the place to see it was from the Kowloon side of the harbour.)

Afterwards we caught the tram back down to the bottom of the peak.

We walked back to the Star Ferry terminal and made our way back to Kowloon, where we had dinner.

Afterwards me and Sis went to a bar called Ned Kellys Last Stand and had a couple of jugs of beer while enjoying the Jazz show that was on. Never been to a Jazz night before but it was quite good fun, very relaxing.

Headed back to the Guest house at 1ish.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb