Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong

Again on our journey to Hong Kong, the other occupants of our carriage did their best to avoid us (or our feet). When we stepped off and the heat finally hit us. Up to this point it had still been necessary to wear a hoodie - now it was hot! We found our hotel in the Miradoor Mansion (sister to the also infamous Chunking Mansion next door) - a massive crumbling block stuffed with everything from mobile phone shops to textile workshops. The ground floor was home to a motley crew of pimps and dealers and people offering us the finest in taylor made formal wear.

We took the star ferry over to Hong Kong island and rode the tram up to Victoria peak. We climbed the last stretch ourselves to the top of the mountain where we watched the sun set over the city and harbour. What a view. Back at the tram stop we had our photo taken by the most smug looking man ever who must have taken great delight in ensuring the shot didnt come out.

Hong Kong is a home from home as any. They drive on the left (just as we'd got used to crossing the road), the queen is still on the old money, and signs are in English - then Chinese! Likewise things also cost more and we found ourselves priced out of even the most "cheap" bars. Enter the cornershop crawl - along the 3km or so of road from central Hong Kong to our new hostel in Causway bay there was a seven eleven on nearly every block - sometimes even two. At each shop you had to buy a beer, need I say more. Anyone who can successfully complete this for the entire 3km and not die I will personally buy a beer. Bonus points if you can steer clear of any of the many McDonnalds littered alone the route, we were not so restrained.

Big Macs aside we spent a day visiting the surrounding island of Lantau - dispite the massive urbanisation of Hong Kong city, the rest of the area and surrounding islands are like a tropical paradise of forest. Here we saw the worlds largest "bronze Buddha in a seated position" atop a large hill, and a wisdom path in which sadly the only wisdom conveyed is that in Chinese
Mirador Mansions Mirador Mansions Mirador Mansions

where we stayed the first night
characters (it was still a good walk).

See Ross' photos here: Hong Kong



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb