Up in the Sky using free internet


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Aberdeen
March 19th 2011
Published: March 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

March 16th Another early start as we were to arrive in Shanghai at 9.00am. This wasn’t quite achieved as the port was extremely busy and it took longer to get to the dock than had been anticipated so the usual queues formed and the “signing in” for the tours began. Fortunately the sun was out and the biting wind had calmed down a little. There was another lengthy hold up as, once again, Chinese officialdom kicked in and it took them an age to clear the ship and its passengers and once again we had to be sure not to carry anything that might be offensive or harmful to the Chinese Peoples Republic. The arms and drugs are understandable … but an orange? Nearly as neurotic as the Americans!!

Anyway, leaving the ship about 45 mins behind schedule we were met on the port side by our guide, Joanne, a young Chinese girl, who was delightful, very friendly, very smiley, and very welcoming unlike our previous chap, Michael, in Beijing. Once on the coach to Shanghai, which was about a 40 min drive away, she filled us in with the history of the area and how Shanghai had developed over the years. As we approached Shanghai we were absolutely amazed by the skyline, such amazing buildings and architecture, very clean and very modern. Also the people in the streets looked very 21st century and, in the main, smiley and happy. This was a big contrast to how we had found Beijing which seemed to be much more somber, not nearly so up-to-date and not very clean and tidy.

Our first port of call was the Jin Mao Tower standing at 420 meters high where we were transported to the 88th floor in 30 seconds for a view over the city. Truly gobsmacking!!! The skyline was very impressive and beat New York into a cocked hat!! After wandering around taking photos and taking in the vista it was time to meet up again on the ground floor and back onto the coach to visit the old part of the city and a typical old style China Town. This place actually had a similar feeling to Camden Market. Full of little eateries and craft stores, plus people performing and so very busy. We were taken into the Yu Gardens which were in the middle of this, and, once inside it blocked out all the noise of the hustle and bustle of the streets. The gardens had been established 400 years ago by an Emperor, there were amazing buildings and lots and lots of wonderful plants and trees and these looked even better as they were just coming into blossom. There was also an awful lot of water areas as apparently this used to symbolise health, happiness and prosperity. Once finished here we were let loose on the narrow alleyways to explore for a couple of hours – I would have been happy to spend the whole day there – there was so much to see!! We finished off with a tour of the silk museum where they also sold the most amazing items made and handpainted in the factory and at such low prices. Unfortunately time ran out far too quickly but I did buy a comforter (quilt for the bed in English) which is layer on layer of pure silk and they say is as warm as any duck down duvet for 65 Euros!!!!!

We then wended our way back to the coach and after a 10 minute drive arrived at the People’s Grand Theatre of Shanghai where we were to have lunch. After the last experience of a Chinese lunch I can honestly say we were not particularly looking forward to it. I had asked Joanne if we could escape but she said we would be missing a treat so in we went. It was excellent. Also the floor where we ate was quite elevated and this too had a great view of the city. The “Lazy Susan” did come into play a little and I think they could become a real bone of contention as, whilst in the middle of serving yourself something, another person will whisk it around leaving you with just a spoon to show for your efforts. Anyway the food was excellent even if our dining companions were a little “grey”.

After lunch we were then at liberty to do what we liked so off we went towards the main street of Shanghai. It was very busy and had a much more western feel to it than we had been expecting including many western chain stores. We found a Starbucks so that we could attempt to use the internet and I could send photos (the ship’s internet is too slow for downloading photos). Once inside and armed with the literature on how to get on line we realized that you had to have a Chinese mobile phone to connect – obviously we didn’t. There was a young Chinese lad sitting next to us who realized we weren’t sure of what to do (made difficult as it was written in Chinese) and came to our aid. He was brilliant – he couldn’t use his mobile no. as he was already on line in there so he phoned a mate to use his mobile no. who then called back with the password which had been texted to him and on we got. The blog was easy and quick to send but I did look on facebook and found that that was indeed blocked.

After this we just mooched around the streets taking in the sights and sounds. It was brilliant!!

We had to leave at 6.00pm to make our way back to the ship. I was really sad to leave so soon as I would have loved to see more of this place.

The coach driver, I am sure, was a rally driver as he drove like a madman, peeping his horn and crossing lanes whenever. The roads are so busy and chaotic and it was rush hour so I decided the best option was to look sideways and admire the buildings and sights rather than the white knuckle ride which was taking place to the front!! He got us back safely and in record time!!!

Back on board, I don’t think there was a soul who hadn’t enjoyed the experience of Shanghai. So far on the trip this ranks in the top 3 places we have visited.

“The Boys” gave us a call to see if we were quizzing, which we did, and then to dinner. And saddos that we are becoming, we did another quiz in the pub afterwards but with the consumption of the alcohol we, unfortunately, did not win!

Then to bed after a wonderful day in Shanghai.

17 March. This is a day at sea before arriving in Hong Kong tomorrow lunch time and, once again, it is bloody miserable outside. Grey, cold, blowy and raining from time to time – so we have spent the day chilling so that we are ready for tomorrow. We are meeting up with a couple of pals tomorrow night for a few drinks and then will explore!

Oh! And nearly forgot, we won the quiz again this morning!!! It was music from the shows and all I can say is Michael and John are just brilliant at it – full marks so double golden tokens!!

Well ..... been in Hong Kong for two days and LOVE it!!! It has been chucking it down for the whole time so therefore have had to spend rather a lot of the time in shops but done some brill sight seeing too and had some fab meals in little back street diners. Will fill you in with more when I write the next blog. Arriving in Vietnam in a couple of days. xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Me on the Balcony of the TheatreMe on the Balcony of the Theatre
Me on the Balcony of the Theatre

this is where we had lunch


19th March 2011

Up in the sky,,,
Can't decide what merits most admiration. Your capacity to survive earthquakes and tsunamis or your ability to harness global communication methods, not only in another language but with another alphabet at the same time appearing fantastic in a wide array of fabulous outfits. I could put it down to the copious quantities of red wine and gin (and possibly heinekins) you appear to be coping with but at the end of the day I can only assume it is your innate ability to connect with locals and cruise mates. Well, we are immensely relieved you have survived two dreadful disasters and are continuing to have a fantastic time. Keep the news coming. Love Richard & Janet.
19th March 2011

exciting episode
Glad your lousy weather isn't daunting you - but who could not enjoy Hong Kong rain or shine. Your blogs get better and better -Bill Bryson eat your heart out. Much love to you both Mum and him xxxxxxxxxxx
20th March 2011

Blog Lovin'!
Sounds like you're having a fabulous time (hic!) The boys are enjoying hearing about your travels and keep bringing the globe down so that we can point to where you are. Sonny asks, daily, if he can send you something that he's made for you....every day, I patiently explain that it's not possible because "Grampy and Grandma Su are on a ship" *pause* "Can we send it tomorrow then?" SCREAM. Anyhoo, keep on blogging, it's great! Xxxxx
20th March 2011

Amazing!!!
All looks incredible, what an experience! Very envious but very much looking forward to hearing more when we meet up. Enjoy all that is coming, I can't believe how fast the time is going!! xx
21st March 2011

Hi Glad you have got safely away from Japan and unhurt in the process. What a shame you didnt get to see as much of it as you would have liked. Knew you would love Hong Kong - what a pity that it rained the whole time - it really was lovely in the sunshine!! Were down at beach at weekend with Gerry and Elaine doing a bit of Gloss Painting - and drinking of course!! The weather has finally brightened up and yes we had sunshine yipee - hope it lasts a few days. What a differend a bit of sunshine makes! Saw Nick on Thursday night at Patricks - Beer Festival so he knows about the 'girls' "spa" appointment on Friday pm - will let you know how they behave! Keep enjoying yourself and keep up the blogs!! love Liz xxxx
23rd March 2011

hong kong
wish i was still in hong kong! We only had a day & it was fantastic! You think its a bit far for a fat-girls weekend? Hope you enjoy Vietnam! We wanted longer there as well! Hated the south china seas! too rough for me! Contemplated sleeping in life jacket one night! Looks like you really have had a fantastic time! Look forward to seeing you sometime soon! xxx
28th March 2011
Me and Jackie Chan

Really?
certainly looks like him. He looks shorter in his films !

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb