The Republic of Georgia: A Culinary Delight


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Tbilisi District
September 26th 2021
Published: December 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Writing this blog was actually on my chore list. It was one of those items that you put on your list, mark off most other items and then move this one to the next list only to repeat the cycle. I love traveling and I love writing and I love eating, so this should be a no brainer blog to produce, right? One would think.



The reality is I have avoided this blog because it is just too overwhelming. The food in the Republic of Georgia is amazing. It didn’t get old as the trip went along. It didn’t decrease in quality as we moved to different regions. It didn’t matter if we were eating in a small village or the capital city; in a posh hipster boutique restaurant or a pub style place that attracts locals. It didn’t matter if we ordered full multi-course meals or stopped in for lighter fare. It just didn’t matter how you cut it, the food in Georgia was incredible.



We over ate and washed it down with Georgian wine. We had appetizers and deserts and everything in between. We ate cheese and bread like they were nutritious food
groups and we had been told to clean our plates. We imagined we were hungry again just so we could stop in at an inviting place for an afternoon sweet or a unique drink.



We ordered things we could never pronounce. We ordered items by looking at photos. We asked waiters and waitresses to just bring us what they recommend. We bought a map of foods and started marking off the items we had eaten like we were going through a grocery list at the market.



Half the time we didn’t know what we were eating and we didn’t care because we were too busy enjoying whatever it happened to be. We knew we couldn’t pronounce most of what we wanted to order, so we didn’t take ourselves seriously enough to even try.



Sometimes when you travel you miss something from home or you crave some comfort food that might be waiting for you on the other side of the ocean. I can tell you, that never happened in Georgia.



My only advice for sampling the cuisine in Georgia is to go all in. Overindulge. Sample everything. Ask the locals for advice. And allow yourself to enjoy every moment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement












Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb