Kakheti, Georgia: A Stroll Through History at Tsinandali Estates


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Eastern Georgia » Kakheti
September 13th 2021
Published: September 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Tsinandali is a tiny little village in Kakheti, Georgia surrounded by vineyards and peach orchards. The village has become popular because of the historic vineyards that continue to work to ensure the preservation of Tsinandali’s legacy as the cradle of Georgia’s classical winemaking. This and it’s beauty is why we felt compelled to add it to our itinerary.



Historians assert that in the early 19th century, Prince Alexander pioneered classical winemaking and European winemaking and turned Tsinandali into the wine capital of the country. To this day, Tsinandali stays true to it’s history by utilizing ancient qvevri and modern techniques to produce premiere wines of Georgia.



Tsinandali Estate is made up of a sprawling and well managed park that features the Tsinandali museum and the boutique hotel by Radisson Collection. All of it maintains the historical structures and layout originally established by it’s first owners.



It was the famous Georgian poet, Alexander Chavchavadze, who inherited the main manor from his father and made it famous for wine production. The manor is now a museum with a cellar and wine tasting rooms and has remained a cultural site hosting musical and art gatherings. In the time of Alexander, it was a cultural hub hosting musicians, writers, poets and prominent international visitors. This legacy made Tsinandali Estate one of the most important centers of cultural life in Georgia.



In 2007, the estate came under the care of the Silk Road Group and they have restored the museum, park and hotel. It is now again the place to go for concerts, festivals and wine events.



Tsinandali Estate could be the poster child for how to preserve the past while also incorporating the future, both aesthetically and environmentally. The nineteenth century elements are clearly conserved and celebrated while the Soviet methods of plastering and tiling have been cleared.



We spent our time touring the museum, tasting the award winning wines, walking the park both during the day and the night and staying at the hotel. The way the hotel group incorporated sustainability with modern design was nearly breathtaking. I won’t even mention how many photos I took of the old buildings punctuated with modern design.







**For more stories and photos about our travels, please follow along on Facebook at Valeri Crenshaw and on Instagram at Valerispassport!***


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb