On to the Caucusas


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Adjara » Batumi
September 14th 2013
Published: September 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Van to Batumi


Seven hours on the bus today, the countryside reminded me a little bit of Mongolia. I found the hotel easy enough before wandering out to see a few historic mosques, have another shave and track down a few cans of Efes. In the morning I visit the ancient Armenian capital of Ani which was initiated in 961 and later abandoned after earthquake and warfare sealed its destruction in the 14th century.

The church of St Gregory perched dramatically above the Arpa Cayi river gorge was certainly a highlight as was the massive cathedral built in 967. The Menusher camii (mosque) has wonderful views of the river gorge and of Armenia. Other highlights include the restored city walls and the Zoarostrian fire temple although little remains of this structure.

On returning to the city I had another chicken kebab before walking around town and organising a bus ticket to Hopi a stones throw from the Georgian border. Five hours I thought this trip would take, yeah right, it took nearly nine, many of those hours were winding through mountains, I must have passed though twenty tunnels and crossed many bridges, but eventually the bus wound its way down to the black sea town of Hopi.

From Hopi it was a quick trip in a taxi to the border crossing at Sarp and then I was into my 7th country, Batumi was just a short taxi ride away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

MosqueMosque
Mosque

Ani
A pretty flowerA pretty flower
A pretty flower

For my wife


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb