Cloud and rain in Hong Kong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
November 22nd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.33, 114.18

When we arrived in Hong Kong after an overnight flight from London, the sun was shining. However by the time we had checked into the Intercontinental Grand Stamford on Kowloon, the clouds had come over but it was still very warm. Having had very little sleep on the plane we did very little but have a local walk round and then a light lunch at the hotel before having a rest. In the evening we went to a bar we had frequented on previous visits- Bar Namo , which overlooks the harbour. Our intention was to have one drink before moving onto a restaurant. As it was happy hour we stayed a bit longer and by then it had started to rain so we ended up eating there and stayed all evening chatting to the owner.One disaster was that on arrival at the hotel we discovered we had taken someone else,s black suitcase. The hotel were brilliant in that they arranged for it to be taken back to the airport and ours to be brought back and delivered to our room.The following day it was raining and there isn't a whole lot to do in Hong Kong unless you like shopping which we don't. We arranged to keep the room for half a day longer just in case and then set off for the Star Ferry. Despite the rain we decided to take the Big Bus tour. I had saved the tickets from a previous city tour in Bath and this gave us a discount. We also decided not to go on the Peak tram as the mountain was shrouded in cloud and it is not worth doing unless it is a clear day. This knocked another £5 off the price. The ticket includes the return journey on the Star Ferry. Once on Hong Kong island we boarded the bus and covered ourselves in the yellow waterproof provided and off we went- very slowly as the traffic in HK is horrendous. To be quite honest there is very little to see except for high rise buildings and loads of reclaiming of land from the sea. Some of the commentary was quite amusing so we learnt a little. We alighted from the bus in a busy area with plenty of bars and restaurants and had a couple of beers in "Insomnia", a lovely bar in D'Aguilar St, Lan Kwai Fong, in Central. After this we found a goose restaurant just down the road, a strange place with only Chinese in it and odd dishes, which I enjoyed but the others were not overwhelmed so I wont give the name. As it had started raining more seriously than before we decided to skip the rest of the bus tour and got a taxi down to the Star ferry and another taxi back to the hotel. We are just hoping that the weather will be good in Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.743s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb