Beijing Day 1


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
June 21st 2011
Published: June 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

P6150234P6150234P6150234

Hotel couryard
Last time I came to Beijing, I was a high school girl in China. My family went to Beijing to get our U.S. visa in order to move to CT. Things certainly changed around. This time I came to Beijing with my students from American high school to visit and learn about their career opportunities in China. I was really impressed by the airport – larger, more modern than LAX and SF International airports where we came from. I still could see the left-over colorful Olympic banners and signs hung throughout the airports. Chinese custom check-point was efficient and painless compare to the U.S. custom. The custom officers were competent and helpful to guests, also because their services were monitored by a survey device in front of their window. The device had several icons from happy face to angry face to allow the guests to give their input. If you like their service, you push the happy face button on the device. I wonder when would the U.S. figure this out and install some of these happy faced devices in DMVs?
When I was last in Beijing in 1994, the city only had three ring areas: city center, 2nd ring and 3rd ring. So much has changed. Beijing now expanded to six rings. Our hotel was located in East 3rd ring, pretty convenient to lots of attractions. Our hotel was tucked away in Hutong – old and narrow alleys in the city residential areas. The hotel was built in “Si He Yuan” style but with most modern amenity like indoor plumbing, wireless internet and air-conditioning. Si He Yuan or a compound is a traditional Chinese architecture and common housing in Northern Chinese. The house is squared or rectangle with four walls on each side and courtyard in the center. The north side house is the main house where the family elders reside. The rest of family members live on east and west sides of the house. The house only has one main gate on the south side. It is believed this type of structure helps to bring the family together and give them the privacy and security behind walls and secure gate. Our hotel was built to attract foreign travelers to experience traditional housing, but still provided food and modern comfort they might be looking for. They provide a full western style breakfast with coffee, espresso, and a wide range of American and Italian food on their menu. Their staff is helpful and can speak English fairly well. My students took full advantage of American breakfast every morning as well as my colleague was pleased to get her espresso in the morning. The accommodation costs 580 up 700 Yuan per night (equivalent to $90 -$110) including breakfast and internet. The rooms are furnished in traditional style, shower is hot and bed is more on the firm side. The hotel also has an enclosed courtyard, a side patio and rooftop patio.
Hotel Info: Imperial Courtyard Hotel No.16
No. 16 garden east alley of Andingmeng, Dongcheng District, Beijing (86-10) 84031088 www.imperialcourtyard.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

P6160244P6160244
P6160244

Hotel Entrance Screen
P6160253P6160253
P6160253

What's on the menu?


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb