Xian - The Warriors


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
February 12th 2008
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Xian - December 07

The overnight train from Beijing pulled in about 6am. We were knackered as usual. A tout took us to his hotel nearby which was ok. Our options were to get out straight away and explore a quiet city or .......sod that we went to bed 'til 11.

We had looked forward to seeing the Terracotta Warriors probably just as much as the great wall. Getting there wasn't as easy as you would have thought. I just imagined every tourist there piling onto buses for the one hour journey. As it turned out with it being winter, not that many buses were running so on the plus side not many tourists were there either. Walking into the main pit and the first view it gives you is amazing! Hundreds of warriors stand infront of you each one with different weapons & individual facial features. We spent a good couple of hours wandering around taking pictures ( Gill's close up photo of one of the warriors is probably the best we took on the day and I get constantly reminded, the smug ginger !).

Pit two was annoyingly closed for renovation. We seem to have this jinx of turning up to sights when they are closed or being renovated. With the olympics in Beijing loads of sights were having work done, ok rant over back to Xian.

The next day we had a good look around the city and it's sights, like the drum tower & bell tower. There is a fantastic night market, we didn't have a meal that evening we just wandered along the streets trying various dishes from street vendors . The best things were the very spicy kebabs and vegetable pancakes. I had my eye on this great smelling, spicy potato dish which was being prepared in a massive wok. We eventually ordered some but it turned out to be some weird jelly (or maybe tripe), who knows what it was but it was swiftly binned and we opted for eating more Kebabs !


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Drum tower Drum tower
Drum tower

Nice, but why didn't they make it different from the bell tower ? You don't care and i shouldn't.....lets move on
Bell tower Bell tower
Bell tower

Can you see what i mean ?


6th April 2008

Mm dont knock it... if I remember rightly if the ginge doesnt get the full 12 hr`s/day.... its a fairly terrfiying experience for everyone concerned... my advice- let the ginge sleep. xx

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb