Kham adventure


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
August 30th 2004
Published: August 30th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Fidel, OM, BeautyFidel, OM, BeautyFidel, OM, Beauty

We wanted an expedition flag with our cats featured; here is 'KhamKat Expedition 2004"
On the threshold....

Tomorrow... stepping from the mundane into the world of getting on the plane for Chengdu: becoming a 'Passenger"

It brings to mind "Asylums: Essays on the Social Situation of Mental Patients and Other Inmates"
by Erving Goffman. This brilliant Canadian sociologist described how total institutions prepare citizens for immersion into their social structure. A hospital transforms your everyday identity into that of its 'patient' by taking away your street clothes,your shoes, your valuables and giving you a gown, a name wristband and paper slippers.

The minute you enter the airport you begin your transformation into 'passenger'. Even more so with the security precautions. You pass through checkpoints and barriers, your luggage may be searched, you must empty your pockets, take off your shoes, belt, tie clip, get patted down, prove who you are several times.....and you will not complain. If you are sucessful you are admitted to the last waiting room before boarding. A world apart: a true 'passenger'in the company of other 'passengers.".

I can envision a time of increased worry when, in order to become a 'passenger', you will have give them your street clothes, wear a name wristband, a gown and paper slippers.......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb