Day Four 13th April 2015 - Suzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Zhejiang » Suzhou
April 13th 2015
Published: April 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Started the day with the short high speed rail journey from Shanghai to Suzhou. The experience would be familiar to air travellers complete with security checks and a short wait at a platform gate. Internally the carriages resemble an aircraft cabin with reclining seats and plently of leg room plus they run on time !
The walled and moated Suzhou city is 2500 years old having been established during the Wu kingdom in 514 BC. It is known as the Venice of the East having a network of canals linking it to a number of freshwater lakes and the Yangtze river. In comparison with Shanghai it is low rise and nine of its classical gardens are world heritage listed.
The most famous of the gardens and the next stop on our itinerary is that of that of the 'Humble Administrator' which it turns out he was not as he was both high ranking and corrupt ! But he had a very nice garden in the classical Chinese style including extensive bonsai gardens. From here we climd Tiger Hill to the Buddhist pagoda and visit the temple.
On after lunch to the Grand Canal for a cruise into the canal system of the old city before heading to our hotel to change before dinner.
After dinner the evening is free so we took a walk in the locality and our lives in our hands when crossing the road to get coffee at - Starbuck's !



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th April 2015

Informative -as ever!
Another good blog Paul. It all looks amazing and definitely a country on our bucket list. keep 'em coming and all the best to Keith as well.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb