Peeling Pomelos


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Zhejiang » Jinhua
November 24th 2012
Published: November 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Learning new skills is part of life. I remember where and when I learnt to fillet and serve mangos many years ago, and mastering this has served me well. My latest skill aquisition came about because I was begifted not one, but three red fleshed pomelos in quick succession. They are the most delicious, sweet tasting citrus. Perfect for autumn snacks. Previously, the fruit seller had skinned them, and Chinese friends segmented and peeled them. Finally, I had to tackle my own pomelo, so with knife (and camera) in hand, let me share this art.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Score and quarterScore and quarter
Score and quarter

Cut round the equator and along the international date line
PeelPeel
Peel

Start with a knife, to get a good grip, then heave back the rind.
BisectBisect
Bisect

I have seen this done with bare hands, but I require a knife.
SegmentSegment
Segment

Only pull away the segments required, unless you are in a party of 5. The rest of the fruit stores well in the fridge.
Remove membraneRemove membrane
Remove membrane

and seeds before eating the pulp. Red and yellow pomelos taste almost identical.
Shoe cupboard freshenerShoe cupboard freshener
Shoe cupboard freshener

Lasts a couple of weeks.


24th November 2012

well done but
You don't show how thick the peel is!!!! I thought you were spatially aware? Because you don't like getting your hands dirty, maybe you didn't notice!!! Look forward to sharing pomelos
25th November 2012

Thickness
The peel is as thick as regular thongs, the pith stays with the membrane, and the pulp is the consistency of set jelly, so you don't get very messy at all. Adds to the enjoyment - non messy citrus.
25th November 2012

But surely.....
Surely you would have met pomelos in Israel many decades ago, no? Certainly all the pomelos in Austria were imported from Israel! Pretty amazing things, aren't they, and they provide hours of entertainment and taste.
1st December 2012

In Israel
No memory of pomelos is Israel. We picked oranges, tomatoes and flowers for the European market, and milked sheep to make cheese for the local market. I remember learning to eat avocados and falafel in Israel.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb