Shangri-La - "yak for Mac"


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan
April 20th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 27.8205, 99.7074

Terrific day of hiking, boating, eco-busing and eating in Shangri-La. But how impressive is that Easter bunny? He found us in this mountain paradise and we started the day with a munch and crunch on chocolate ....the first chocolate we've seen in China.

Mac has carried a Darrel Lea Easter egg in his bag for 16 days....my hero (.....and just think, without that box in his bag there is now some room for some shopping! I'm onto it!) I have to admit that I wasn't as prepared and had found some peanut M & M's at Chengdu airport.

A leisurely breakfast in the restaurant with the slated floors and Mac even found a "real coffee" this morning. He went back in eager anticipation for a second, only to find that the machine had broken down.

First stop was a morning visit to the stunning Potatso National Park. Again, we needed to take a drive through Tibetan Villages, yak, goat and pig herds while dodging bikes, scooters, tractors, trucks, pedestrians, buses and cars. Just a normal day of driving in downtown anywhere in China.

The national park is a venture set up by the government to once again protect the biodiversity of this amazing region while at the same time making it totally accessible to as many people as possible. We are visiting in the spring - a time of beautiful clear blue sunny skies - but brown landscape. In the summer season, the valleys and peaks are covered with wild flowers of every colour. Nonetheless, the water, the mountains, the snow, the lakes, the steep precipices, the creeks and streams, the marshes and islands all combine to make this a truly beautiful walk.

And our guide is so amazing. As a member of the Tibetan minority group and a devout Tibetan Buddhist he is a fascinating host. He has an affinity with the land and the people. He has an amazing sense of humour and a deep respect for everyone and everything. What a privilege it has been to spend time with Thupten. So with his guidance we took in the wonders of the Shangri-La National Park, Pu Da Cuo, Bita Lake and Shu Du Lake.

Mac has grappled with an upset stomach since the last night of the cruise (remember the meal that made Doug ill - Mac had the same chicken dish). Dr John had given us some tablets to cover this
Easter SundayEaster SundayEaster Sunday

Darrel Lea, a stopa, Tofu the driver...and our dinner on hoof.
emergency and after 6 days of careful and selective eating we think he is finally back on track. He got his confidence back in the wild ( and windy) outdoors today and frightened a few of the native squirrels away...if you know what I mean. Glad he is back in form!

No day is complete without SOMEONE asking Mac if he is Chinese. Today a gentleman on the boat who was from Hong Kong asked him if he were Cantonese. Of course, it results in peals of laughter from us. And as usual, it doesn't natter how vehemently we deny it we get an "Are you sure?" On the next boat ride he was the photogenic model partner for a very gorgeous young woman. He is always in the spotlight.

The most intriguing part of this visit was viewing the 4 km open plain where all the tribes bring their herds for grazing. Horses, pigs, goats, sheep, yaks, cows and dreys carpeted the grazing land in this large communal farming area. At the end of the day the herds take themselves home! The Tibetan homes have three levels - the livestock live in the ground floor, the family on the first floor and the ceiling/roof area is used for storing the grain and produce. So the livestock ambles back to their warm ground floor shelter for some extra food each evening.

It was the day of the yak. They were everywhere! Every part of the animal has its use....it produces milk, cheese and yoghurt - provides leather - the hair is used for weaving - the bones are used to create combs. And of course it provides meat.

So after a day of dodging the yak on the roads all day, we were responsible for its slaughter at night. We ate it and LOVED it. We are certainly not vegetarians.

Songzanlin Lamasery is the largest Buddhist monastery in South China and is home to 800 monks aged from 4 years to 72 years. Another wonderful old facility that suffered at the hands of The Cultural Revolution. It was also damaged in last year's earthquake. It was a combination of intricately carved and ornate centres of worship and run down dilapidated and derelict buildings. The whole monastery is targeted as a tourist destination and you have to take the Eco-bus to the facility and then run the gauntlet of the markets on the way out. Of course, there were lots of stairs, lots of statues, lots of decaying foods that have been left as offerings and lots of tourists. Of course, this means perfect opportunities for Mac to engage in photo bombing. He is seriously going to be in photo collections of holiday makers from the far reaches of the globe.

Th afternoon included a visit to the Old Town - or rather - what was left of it. It had been burnt down in January 2014. It was just a burnt out memory. It was particularly poignant for Thupten. His family had worked and saved for 10 years to rent premises in the Old City for a Cafe. After 5 months in business he was a victim of the fire and is now at the mercy of the government to see what happens.

At the top of the Old Town Square is the largest prayer wheel in the world. Despite having walked for 7 hours in the day already, we had to muster the courage to take the last climb of the day and join the crowds in turning the wheel.

Home for a shower and off to the next feast! I had one too many beers
The boatThe boatThe boat

...and if you are wondering...ask Mac about his cold hands
with the yak banquet and combined with way too much food and an overdose of sunshine and high altitude I was a "goner ".

Our last night in the remote Shangri-La.....a peaceful, beautiful and friendly haven from the bustling mega cities of China.

@Aunty Gail - singing and dancing for your birthday! Feeling a little light headed from the exertion at altitude but YOU are worth it. Love to you from us. xoxoxox Let's celebrate on our return.
@Carolyn lucky you ...your girls AND chocolate..sounds like a perfect prelude to "back to school". BTW Made in China Part 2 coming along nicely...I have aspirations for part 3 ...just to keep my gender bases covered ��
@mrsAngell - go figure - I got impressively sunburnt today

Pedometer Reading: 14 408

Temperature: 18 C in bright spring sunshine


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Old Town Prayer WheelThe Old Town Prayer Wheel
The Old Town Prayer Wheel

Love the advice...after 9 hours of up and down stairs, I'm taking their advice.


22nd April 2014

Look forward to celebrating my birthday on your return......thankyou for taking the time to sing & dance for me!! I am so enjoying your adventures.....what fun we are ALL having.......Sparky sends her love......she's being a very good g
irl, and I keep thinking I will win her over, but it's obvious she only has eyes for Wayne!!! I will however, keep singing, dancing & whistling for her in the hope she learns to love me too!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you both..........xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
22nd April 2014

Oh, and I am feeding & watering her as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
22nd April 2014

Love the blue sky.

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb