Lunar New Year 2006 in Yuanyang


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan
January 26th 2006
Published: July 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

26/1/06

Foggy and cold today, woke up at 7 and peep through the curtain, I went back to sleep again. But Ludwig insisted we should made the trip to ShaLaTuo for its market, ok... It was my idea yesterday, so... In 5 minutes me and Ludwig was down in the street looking for mini-bus, and it wasn't difficult. But the fare was a bit steep in this time of the year, 20 yuans! new year price. Chinese wouldn't mind to pay more in this time, and they rather used to it as they wouldn't bargain or argue for that. But I think the local authority should maintain a standard fare for transportation. Now it seem like those drivers can quoted whatever fare they like. Our bus ran through thick mist, I felt rather sleepy, but Ludwig was concentrated on his new toy, the gps mapping gadget. Sound of vomiting woke me up, and the woman in front wheeled down the window and thrown out a plastic bag with porridge like staff in it..Skillfully! Then again... Toilet paper... Out in the same graceful manner. I was thinking... Yeah... At least she did keep our car clean! as all Chinese do, they keep our house clean but they didn't care much the area right outside our door. They won't cut the tree behind their village but they go cut it from behind other village.. Oahhh... I went back to sleep right away as I find no solutions for that. At first we were worried about today market as we stepped off the bus, quiet! Well pass 10 o'clock, but then we asked the locals and they said people will come around 12 and it did. ShaLaTuo has changed a bit since I last saw it. More building and the new market area is bigger, so even today had many people, still it wasn't as jam pack as it was before. back to the office and seem like there had been some people using our service today. a good sign!

After a night of explosion(fire cracker), couldn't really sleep through my new year eve. Wondered where is their arsenal? Seem like there was unlimited supply for the whole town. The air was filled with gun powder, the street was covered with million pieces of red color paper. Explosion still going on even now is 9 o'clock at night. Think it will be another no sleep night! New year??? What does it mean to us??? Willing to spend more money, consumed more than necessary, shopping more than enough, pretending to be enjoy and happy, new clothes, new shoe, new haircut but...live the same old lifestyle. What is new year really mean?? Went up to the temple this morning. Huge incense and paper gold and silver were burning inside, air was choking but no one mind. They all pray in front of their favourites god and hope for a fortune in the coming year... Better without move an inch of their ass! New year day but not much different from any normal non-market day, except less shop open and non-stop explosion. For me...it was just another sunny day and I took it for granted. Of course...wouldn't waste a good hiking day like this!

30/01/06

Seem like public transportation has back to normal, bus to HuangMaoLang has no trouble at all. Only the price was double. Steep 20 kuai! Weather was great, sunny and clear. Although no idea where the village was, we head out for the Miao festival. Of course I knew it was some where around somewhere! Got off the bus outside a Dai village, no one knew about the festival at all, why should they... It was only for the Miao! But they did point me out the direction to XiaoHeiLong, "that way and that way... Up after you see the electric pole"an old man told us. That was exactly how he had described, although we took a wrong tee-off, but we still managed to got up to the village trail. Then we saw a family and they told us they were going there for the festival too, so...luck was there with us and we just followed them. But the most important was we now sure there will be thing going on today up there. Soon we spot the long pole which decorated with red cloth from the distance, not far now, and soon we go up to the hill top where people had already gathered. Just right at the time they started climbing up the pole. It was a game to let young man show their courage. It was about10m high. They time the minute for the faster climber to be the winner. Then some women started to sing while people drinking and eating in the nearby make shift store. Some even setup and dice gambling store. Most business was held by the Yi from the nearby village. Suddenly 5 or 6 horses show up, people automatically clear their way, and those horses rode by old man was jog around the pole while a shaman chanting who know what scripture. Finally a choosen one had been selected and was tied on the pole. Table had been set and 6 old man sat around it with drinks. Taking turn to toast to each other, still chanting while another shaman preparing threads tied around the neck of whoever came forward. Those people were with weak health and easily got sickness, and the thread meant to lock their life buoy their safety. And all these old man were being choosen as well, as all of them are healthy and strong, and villager began to circled around their table, chanting for good health same as them. Followed by this ceremony was a team of dancers, young boy and girl guess they were hired from other village, should be something good I guess, but as soon as they started their performance then I began to laughed, it was no minority dance, it was pop music with contemporary dancing movement, but... Hell... Why not! The day was hot and this hill top was dusty with sand. Sharp color all around and I was busy in taking pictures. This is the only occasion that minorities wouldn't mind being shooting at by a camera, as they are proud of and feel good about their new dresses. Of course once they saw their own images from our digi camera, they all want more. Fun! Time fly... almost 3 and the festival end and people began to head off in all direction. CiaHauShan is a festival for young people, and the rest of the day will be for boys and girls communicating. it was an activity for in-tribe, so...we pick our way down hill from another direction, all the way down 600m! Again...non problem for car back to yy. A beautiful day, a successful trip and good hike.


31/1/06

We decided to see another CaiHauShan today. With 5 people we voted for luxury (of course...not counting me)by hiring a car for our journey. And for that we also agreed on(again...not counting me)on watching sunrise, which mean start the day early and also mean wake up early! 6:15am we drove out with our 400 yuans rented car. It was good weather and not very cold. All along the road to DuoYiShu we saw line of red tail light, then I realised there was so many car going there for the same reason...sunrise! Got there by 7 and it was jam pack with people and vehicles which I couldn't even noticed it in the dark. And sky brighten up and I was shocked to see cars lined on both side of the road, humans facing only one direction, be it on the cliff behind the highway or down the hill side, what a scene. And local tribe people squeezing in between selling boiled eggs. I even find Zhou, the Chinese photographer selling fotobook and postcard, said he was here every long public holiday. he really know where money flow! we actually manage to spend almost two hours there and without seeing sunrise! Pressed on and had our quick blunch in GaNiang, then got to our destination CaiShanPing before noon. Festival was bigger here and as it was right on the highway, many people came to do business(food store)today. Today was the third days and it will go for 5 days. we missed the pole climbing as it was on yesterday, today they has singing and Lusun dance. I was more into people, so I spend time in people watch, of course...shooting too! But perhaps 2 same festival in row was a bit too much for me eyes and my brain, yeah...still shoot like crazy but not as intensely as yeaterday, so I suggested a picnic, a nice spot right behind the village, we got lemonade, potato and tofu, and took a rest before heading back to YuanYang. Yes...more convenience to have our own transportation, we did stop wherever we wanted on our way back for scenic photo, if not the violent protest from our lady friends, Myriam and Clare, we might stop more often...BaDa, QingKou, Yuannnnn.....

5/2/06

LaoDai told me they start early for the ceremony in NuiJiaoZhai, so me and Ludwig left our room before 7 this morning, it was foggy and dark, and to our surprise there wasn't any transportation in the street, we walked to the carpark and there we saw 2 mienbao but they were destinate for some other place, no interest to go to NuiJiaoZhai they said. We then ran between the bus stand and carpark for the next 30 minutes, then we flagged down a ShaLaTuo car and he offered taking us for 20 each. Fine as we expected it could be more. We got to NiuJiaoZhai befor nine and LaoDai told us "wait, it will begin by one thirty. What! Why you ask me come that early then! I knew the answer...they just want you here, as simple as that! So...we ran to different houses, sit for while, ate here and again ate there. Until we heard the wailing of the chosen pig which they were killing under their holy tree, and I knew the ceremony has begin. NuiJiaoZhai is the biggest township in YuanYang, more than 1000 families, it was separated into 4 quarters, The Han, Tha Hani, The Yi and The Dai. And today JiLong is for the Yi and Dai, but still they do it separately in their own quarter, and LaoDai told me they don't even put table outside and eat like a long banquet. Anyways...my job today was to help took video of their ceremony and dance, and I had to followed their idea of shoting angle,"shot from this side when we pray", "shot from here while they walk pass..."the village's head told me. Ok...whatever you say, boss! Their dance, their fairy-wheel playing, their toast...I got it all on tape, they were happy and we got fed up... With food! Fare deal. We left when their men came back from the ceremony meal and carried a small bamboo shot which had been blessed under the holy tree. They will put it inside their barn and it mean a good year for their crops. and had packed 16 color eggs between us on our way out, what an eat and take case....haaa...!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb