Chris' joyful day! (Nov 2007)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Zhongdian
November 9th 2007
Published: November 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the TLG trek we headed off on an early bus (we never get any lie ins on this tour!) to Zhongdian, a Tibetan village. We hadn't had a shower and were pretty tired from the trek so we were looking forward to a nice hot shower when we got there.

A lovely bumpy bus ride with a mental driver and we got to Zhongdian. We had arranged to go and visit a local school and a yak farm that afternoon and we literally had time to dump our bags off and get on another bus to the farm. Chris hadn't really been looking forward to this visit.... even less so now!

We looked around the college but all the students were out doing work experience so we didn't get to see them! Then we headed out to the Yak farm for lunch. We had been told the Tibetan food is really basic so me and Chris were looking forward to cheese, potatoes and bread. There were 6 generations of a family at this farm and we met the great grandma and grandad who were lovely and served us up our lunch. We had thick green bread made out of dal and some yak cheese which was quite nice. We had butter tea to dip this into which was pretty horrible and most of us were pouring some out as not to look rude. Then we got the meat.... which was the fat of the meat in chunks. Everyone was trying to convince me that I could eat it being a vegetarian as it wasn't actually meat....! We got some yummy potatoes which everyone dove into!

The views were lovely around the farm (which you can see!). The colours were very autumn like!

We then went to see some younger school children for a basketball game. The kids were very sweet although Chris sneaked off for this bit.... I think the whole experience was getting worse for her!

We then went to visit the family's house which was really beautiful and huge (well they did have 6 generations!).

We then ended the day by feeding the Yaks (again not Chris' cup of tea!!) some food and they had big slimy tongues, yum yum!

There was an offer at the end of the day to go for a Tibetan meal which most of us declined..... after the lunch.... although having had Tibetan food since it is not all like that...!

Well Chris didn't have the best day but we laughed a lot! And I did hear Chris talking in her sleep that night claiming she had had a very nice day! i think she did enjoy it really.......

xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb